Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

NFL Draft Thread 2017

Is it wrong that I love our draft in part because so many of the so called experts dont like it that well. It seems to me that the more they dont like our drafts the better they actually are. Where as if they love them like when Millen would get A's they end up being a disaster!

One think I notice over the years - we know nothing.

I think if we start our 6th round QB we go to the SB right away.. His Mom's family is from Michigan, he used to go to Ann Arbor from 8th grade to 12th in the summer. It's in the cards.

I think the kid I am most excited, and also most cautious with, is Reeves-Maybin. As an athlete, the kid has elite level speed and instincts. He reads and reacts like a beast, and he's fundamentally sound. He gets to the ball quickly, and he explodes into tackles and wraps up well.

If this guy had been healthy, he could have been a top 15 picks with what he brings. Problem is... he doesn't stay healthy. He's undersized, and he was banged up at the NCAA level. I can't imagine he's going to fare better against bigger, faster, hard hitting competition.

When he's on the field, he will make an impact. I'm not optimistic about how much time he will spend on the field. He's like Alex Carter in that respect.. except he's vastly more athletic than Carter, but he may not spend as much time healthy as Carter has, and that hasn't been at all.

I think the kid I am most excited, and also most cautious with, is Reeves-Maybin. As an athlete, the kid has elite level speed and instincts. He reads and reacts like a beast, and he's fundamentally sound. He gets to the ball quickly, and he explodes into tackles and wraps up well.

If this guy had been healthy, he could have been a top 15 picks with what he brings. Problem is... he doesn't stay healthy. He's undersized, and he was banged up at the NCAA level. I can't imagine he's going to fare better against bigger, faster, hard hitting competition.

When he's on the field, he will make an impact. I'm not optimistic about how much time he will spend on the field. He's like Alex Carter in that respect.. except he's vastly more athletic than Carter, but he may not spend as much time healthy as Carter has, and that hasn't been at all.

I think he'll be fine. Adding muscle and being forced to tone his playing style down a bit might work wonders

Everything i have read about him completely contradicts this ....hoping for the best tho !!

At worst with Maybin we got a special teams beast. The kid actually loves special teams and demanded to keep playing when they tried to take him off of special teams. I like the draft but I am cautiously optimistic and how great it actually is

In my opinion we didn't address our biggest problem.... getting to the qb. We still don't have a rush dt to pair with robinson moving forward. And I'm not sold on hyder and Bryant to provide a consistent pass rush. Who are we starting at dt? Whatever name you insert after Robinson is garbage.

In my opinion we didn't address our biggest problem.... getting to the qb. We still don't have a rush dt to pair with robinson moving forward. And I'm not sold on hyder and Bryant to provide a consistent pass rush. Who are we starting at dt? Whatever name you insert after Robinson is garbage.

While getting to the QB was an issue. The biggest problem was have no LB who could cover a TE. How many TE's had career games against us last year? I wish we could have fixed every issue but to be honest they cant do that.

Its like all the people complaining that we didnt take an RB to fix the running game. Unless we have Barry back there no RB will make much progress behind the line we had. I hope we fixed that with the OL additions. Its not the RB's fault when there is no whole to run through.

While getting to the QB was an issue. The biggest problem was have no LB who could cover a TE. How many TE's had career games against us last year? I wish we could have fixed every issue but to be honest they cant do that.

Its like all the people complaining that we didnt take an RB to fix the running game. Unless we have Barry back there no RB will make much progress behind the line we had. I hope we fixed that with the OL additions. Its not the RB's fault when there is no whole to run through.

Agreed. Fix the line and you can pick Joe shmoe from lake city of the virgin Mary and he will be productive.

Ngata is not garbage. Hill can rush if healthy too. Spence holds gap unlike Walker and Charles

Ansah healthy is huge for pass rush. 10-12 sacks again very possible. Hyder was consistent rush. Bryant 3 sacks in limited snaps. Full year out of him. Washington athletic potential. Dline can be a strength. Quinn said it was pre draft

Ansah healthy is like adding a pro bowler. And more coverage from cbs and lbs helps the pass rush. Allows more time to rush for coverage sacks too

Last edited:

Hard to have a perfect draft. Quinn cleaned up a lot of postions with his picks IMO. LB was huge and so was CB. Two immediate starters day 1 and the WR should contribute as well. If Maybin can stay healthy he'll be a steal. That kid flies all over the field. Rounds 1 through 4 should make an immediate impact.
I was a little dissapointed in them not fully addressing the RB and pass rush, but like I said, you can't make everyone happy. They are obviously banking on guys like Bryant, Hyder and Abdullah.

Added 3 Dline in free agency and resigned Bryant and hyder. Ansah healthy. Dline was addressed

Yeah, I was hoping on a big RB myself. But I've been so wrong on draft picks that I'll just have a wait and see approach.

Yeah, I was hoping on a big RB myself. But I've been so wrong on draft picks that I'll just have a wait and see approach.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2017/04/udfa_tracker_giant_ot_storm_no.html#incart_river_index

UDFA tracker: The Lions finally get their running back (updated)

"Minutes after the draft concluded, though, Detroit did add some competition to the position by agreeing to a deal with Cincinnati running back Tion Green. At 6-foot and 230 pounds, Green is a huge back. He runs like it too. He doesn't create for himself much, but he doesn't pussyfoot between the tackles either. He's a downhill back looking to punch people in the face.

He finished his career with 2,072 yards on 445 carries and 19 touchdowns."

Back