Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

*Official UM Hoops Thread*

And Bates-Diop...

Diop enjoys his Michigan experience

By Andre Barthwell
GoBlueWolverine.com
Posted Jun 19, 2012

2014 prospect Keita Bates-Diop had the chance in one week to attend Michigan’s one day elite camp, take in a visit there, and also receive something he has been looking forward to for quite some time. Bates-Diop chats with GBW about his U-M offer, the one day elite camp, and his visit.

When your birthday comes and you are looking for that special gift that you really want, you put hints out there making sure those close to you know what it is. Well Keita Bates-Diop wanted an offer -- but, unlike a gift, a scholarship from the University of Michigan comes from hard work and commitment, not just hints.

So on June 15 around 8:30 in the morning Keita Bates-Diop received a call that he had been waiting on. Keita was hoping that call was surely about his hard work and dedication -- because for Michigan to offer it is not only just about basketball, but to his commitment in the classroom as well as his character.

“Coach John Beilein called from the office where all of the coaches were there on speakerphone," Bates-Diop told GoBlueWolverine, "and he offered me a scholarship to the University of Michigan. I was very excited about the offer -- once again it meant that my hard work has paid off."

Michigan made only two offers that day and Bates-Diop certainly was one of them. He had a chance to speak with all the coaches.

“They were all very excited about offering me. Coach Lavell Jordan was really excited he said he wanted me to choose to be a Michigan Wolverine for the future."

Keita Bates-Diop has been known to the Michigan coaches for quite some time now. They have followed him around since last year and have not fallen off his wagon at all. He has shown them love, coming to their camp and visiting campus -- and they have showed it right back by keeping a watchful eye during AAU season. Playing in the practice facility, Diop appreciated the opportunity being there.

“Overall I really enjoyed the chance to be there," he said. "The camp was run smoothly by the Michigan staff. I liked that we were put through a college practice to see how Michigan does things during their season. The practice facility is an extremely nice place. I will definitely take the skills and tools I learned there back home with me to be a better player."

The Bates-Diop family decided to stay an extra day and take in a visit with the Michigan basketball staff and look at the campus again.

“Me and my family talked with Coach Beilein, and I had an opportunity to meet with him individually and talk."

What was discussed in that meeting with Coach Beilein?

“Coach just told me to be more assertive and aggressive when I am on the floor playing. He also talked about me working out and getting better as a basketball player. The conversation that he and I had is something that I will take to heart and work hard to get to where I want to be."

Keita also had the chance to get an even better feel for all the coaches after spending time with all of them inside the practice facility.

“I am very comfortable with their staff and the environment there. As I said I spoke with with Coach Beilein, and he is a cool guy that I can talk to about more than just basketball. Coach Jeff Meyer's is nice -- he has a lot of insight on many things. Coach Bacari Alexander is fun to be around and is easy going. Coach Lavell Jordan is a real cool coach -- he is a young guy that relates to players real well considering he played coach ball. I can talk to him about many things that do not include basketball, And what he says is the truth about college basketball since he has experienced it."

The 2014 prospect also has an understanding of why he has a strong interest in Michigan basketball and what they do.

“At Michigan I like the way they play. They fit my style by pushing the ball up on fast breaks or running plays in the half court. All of their players play multiple positions -- they are very versatile. I could see myself playing in their offense. They are high on my list because of their academics and athletics together."

Keita is the type of player that Michigan is looking for because he affects games in so many different ways. He can score at the basket, he can take you off the dribble, with his long arms and athleticism he is a solid defender that could turn into a great defender. He blocks shots on the perimeter as well as on the block. He rebounds well and is a very capable passer.

The Wolverine can only hope that he brings these talents to Ann Arbor.

I am just glad he listened to the right people his dad included who wanted him to stay. I really thought he was gone. It seemed to me that his mind was made up before he talked to anyone. I hope what is happening to Sullinger right now is a cautionary tail for what cam happen when you declare early

IMO the only thing he did wrong with The Decision was not controlling what got out to the media. It's hard to be too mad at a 19 year old for not being PR savvy though, and as far as the time and effort he put into getting his draft stock evaluated goes, I think he did the right thing.

I don't know. It just seems like he thinks he's a lot better than he is to me. I guess I don't really have that big of a problem with what he did, but I have a feeling that the general public (non-basketball-savvy people) probably do have a problem with what he did.

I am just glad he listened to the right people his dad included who wanted him to stay. I really thought he was gone. It seemed to me that his mind was made up before he talked to anyone. I hope what is happening to Sullinger right now is a cautionary tail for what cam happen when you declare early

Sullinger would've been better off leaving a year earlier...

I don't know. It just seems like he thinks he's a lot better than he is to me. I guess I don't really have that big of a problem with what he did, but I have a feeling that the general public (non-basketball-savvy people) probably do have a problem with what he did.

I hope he thinks he's the best point guard in the country.

I hope he thinks he's the best point guard in the country.

I hope he doesn't think that, because a person who knows that he has things to work on is much better. I don't want a player with an ego bigger than the arena. Confidence is good, but it can go too far. In my worthless opinion, he shouldn't have even entertained the thought of going after last season, yet he seemed to be on the edge of going, even though we heard that most people told him that he was not ready.

I am a little worried that Burke has 1 foot out the door already and he will make showcasing his game above whats best for the team. But I am willing to give him in the benefit of the doubt until he gives me a reason not to. If the new guys gel well with the players we already have this could be a very special season.

I hope he doesn't think that, because a person who knows that he has things to work on is much better. I don't want a player with an ego bigger than the arena. Confidence is good, but it can go too far. In my worthless opinion, he shouldn't have even entertained the thought of going after last season, yet he seemed to be on the edge of going, even though we heard that most people told him that he was not ready.

I'm sure we're not very far apart on this. I want him to think he's the best in the country, and also know that to remain the best he has to continually self-assess and work on his weaknesses. I feel fairly confident that he's doing that, so I'm getting pretty stoked to see him play this year.

As far as him being on the edge of going...who the hell knows? But I do think it's fair to say he was a borderline first round pick, and if being a first round pick is his goal, doing what he did made sense. If that is the case we can be mad that his personal goals are more important than The Team, but I think 99.99% of college athletes are in the same boat. As long as he puts that behind him while he's on the court and isn't trying to impress scouts to the detriment of his team (as MC believes will happen, EDIT: and wheels is afraid of), again, I don't see any reason to have beef.

Last edited:
The way I see it, he's already demonstrated the ability to break people down and get to the hole. Sure, he can improve on that, but IMO his biggest areas of improvement need to be in shooting %/shot selection, reading a defense, and making plays for others. If he's trying to impress scouts by showcasing those improved skills then I think we'll all be happy fans.

Last edited:
And UM offered their third 2014 prospect.

Trevon Bluiett, 6'5" wing out of Indianapolis (go Jeff Meyer go). Not quite as universally highly ranked as the other two, but still a great prospect at 47th in the nation per Rivals, 68 on Scout, and a 3-star according to ESPN.

Here's an interview and a video...

http://www.umhoops.com/2012/05/09/spiece-2012-trevon-bluiett-scouting-video-quotes/

And an update from Ohio Scout guy Brian Snow last night...

Trevon now has Indiana, Purdue, Butler, Notre Dame, Xavier, Illinois, Louisville, Michigan, and Florida. I tend to believe he is a kid who stays in the Midwest, so that does bode well for Michigan. Right now honestly I don't think Trevon is super close to a decision, and while a lot want to peg Indiana as the leader, I don't think that would be super accurate at this point in time.

He has visited Louisville, Xavier, and Michigan in the last week, so obviously his dad wants him to do his due diligence.

He is a big time scorer, one of the better shooters in the class. Also he has an excellent feel for how to play the game. The question with him comes in on, "who does he guard". Trevon is a slow-twitch muscle kid and doesn't move well laterally. At about 6'5 he might be best playing PF and not SF.

Still I have come around on his game quite a bit in the last 3-4 months. He works as hard as any kid in the country and just produces. At some point you have to talk about what he does instead of what he doesn't do, and when on the court he gets buckets and finds a way to grab rebounds.

I hope he is, because he's going to be jumping right into the starting role after Burke (likely) heads for the NBA after this season.

Don't forget about Spike, dubbs!!

With Donnal I'm thinking (hoping) Jon Leuer.

Austin Hatch is reclassifying to the class of 2014. I am really pulling for this kid as I know everyone is. Basketball seems to trivial considering all he has been through.

I just bought my Blue Rage tickets!!

Last edited:
Really? I bailed. Fuck $40/ticket, and only one game.

Oh, btw, tonight's exhibition game will be replayed on BTN Monday at 4.

It is nice to see these big name recruits start to come in. I was quite concerned in the early going of John B's tenure that top flight players just did not want to deal with his style of ball. But man, he's getting some big fish.

Back