Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

*Official UM Hoops Thread*

I predict a lot of pine-riding time for Della Valle in Columbus

Amazingly, he's their only 2012 commit. I guess when you routinely have 5 member classes if your one-and-done factory slows down a bit you're going to have a backlog and have a small one, but damn, talk about a disappointing class.

Amazingly, he's their only 2012 commit. I guess when you routinely have 5 member classes if your one-and-done factory slows down a bit you're going to have a backlog and have a small one, but damn, talk about a disappointing class.

No shit and they only got him, because U of M didnt want him

BOOM!!

Top Performers: adidas VIP Exclusive Run

Kasey Hill By Evan Daniels
Recruiting Analyst
Posted Apr 24, 2012

LAS VEGAS -- Kasey Hill was the top performer of the adidas VIP Exclusive Run, but prospects like Chris Walker, Quentin Snider, Noah Vonleh, Karviar Shepherd, Anton Gill, Isaac Hamilton and Mark Donnal had monster weekends as well.

Mark Donnal

Size: 6-9/215 |

Quick Take: In the two games I took of Indiana Elite South, I came away impressed with what Donnal brings to the table. During a pool play game against Mass Rivals, Donnal, who has grown to 6-foot-9, played physical inside, showed more an ability to score on the block and fought for rebounds. A Michigan commit, Donnal has great hands, a nice face up jump shot and even a hook on the block.

Top Performers: adidas VIP Exclusive Run

Kasey Hill By Evan Daniels
Recruiting Analyst
Posted Apr 24, 2012

LAS VEGAS -- Kasey Hill was the top performer of the adidas VIP Exclusive Run, but prospects like Chris Walker, Quentin Snider, Noah Vonleh, Karviar Shepherd, Anton Gill, Isaac Hamilton and Mark Donnal had monster weekends as well.

Mark Donnal

Size: 6-9/215 |

Quick Take: In the two games I took of Indiana Elite South, I came away impressed with what Donnal brings to the table. During a pool play game against Mass Rivals, Donnal, who has grown to 6-foot-9, played physical inside, showed more an ability to score on the block and fought for rebounds. A Michigan commit, Donnal has great hands, a nice face up jump shot and even a hook on the block.

This is good, because i was like "huh?" when he committed what seems like a year ago. JB might actually know what he's looking at and talking about, which I already knew, but some others never seem to understand.

This is good, because i was like "huh?" when he committed what seems like a year ago. JB might actually know what he's looking at and talking about, which I already knew, but some others never seem to understand.

I'm pretty excited for Donnal to get here. He's not going to be the phsyical freak that a lot of people want (and I'd take one of course) but I think he'll be long enough to compete defensively and on the boards in the Big Ten, and what I've seen of his offensive game looks great. I know people will quibble with calling him a center, but I think he'll be the first true "Beilein 5" that he's had here. I'll have to be on the ball next winter and make it out to at least a game or two. His school is only about 10 miles from where I work.

I'm pretty excited for Donnal to get here. He's not going to be the phsyical freak that a lot of people want (and I'd take one of course) but I think he'll be long enough to compete defensively and on the boards in the Big Ten, and what I've seen of his offensive game looks great. I know people will quibble with calling him a center, but I think he'll be the first true "Beilein 5" that he's had here. I'll have to be on the ball next winter and make it out to at least a game or two. His school is only about 10 miles from where I work.

He might even still be growing.

Sounds like he's 100% gone if he's projected as a first rounder next year.

Ehh, this is not a good quote... "I get lackadaisical and bored out there sometimes and it backfires on me."

This was obvious...

Dime: Who was the toughest person for you to cover this season?

TB: Probably [Purdue point guard] Lewis Jackson, because he was so small. He really wasn’t a scoring guard, but right when you think he wasn’t scoring, or wasn’t going to shoot it, he would just go and get to the cup and score because he was so quick.

The Caris Levert Tour Continues

By Dre Barthwel
GoBlueWolverine.com
Posted May 3, 2012

2012 shooting guard prospect Caris Levert has been visiting colleges since getting his release from Ohio U. GoBlueWolverine talked to him about his visits to a few of those schools as well as his anticipated trip to Ann Arbor today.

The second time around for Caris LeVert and the recruiting process is reaping bigger rewards for the 2012 guard out of Pickerington (OH) Central high school.

“I kind of went under the radar (the first time around)," said Levert. "I had offers from St. Francis (PA), Alabama St. and Ohio -- those were the only offers that I had. Then after I received my release, Dayton offered and more schools like Purdue, Xavier and Michigan started coming in."

Last week he visited Dayton to see how things were there.

Said Levert, “I had a really good time at Dayton, having the chance to meet with the coaching staff and see the campus. They have good academics. It was nice last Tuesday."

This Tuesday Caris and his mom were in West Lafayette, Indiana visiting Purdue University to get a glimpse into what they had to offer him as a student-athlete.

“We talked with the staff and with Coach Painter and we saw the campus," Levert reported. "They also have very good academics. It has been really nice hanging out here. In the morning I met with Coach Painter again for breakfast to finish up my visit."

At 2 p.m. today Caris, his mom and high school coach Jerry Francis are to be in Ann Arbor to visit with the Michigan staff. Though he has never on campus before -- he is being recruited heavily by another youngster that has.

“Taco Charlton has stayed on me about coming to Michigan," he said. "Me and Taco have been friends since we were 7 or 8 years old. Right now I am just trying to be observant about all the schools that I am visiting at this time."

“I am really excited to get up to Michigan, I talked with Coach Beilein-- he seems like a great person and a great coach someone I would like to play for. Coach Alexander is really fun and cool -- we had a good conversation. He seems to be a great person as well."

Levert and his mom just have a few things they are looking for as they visit each school.

“We would like the school to have good academics because that is important for us, plus getting to know the coaches well, and a good basketball program."

There are rampant rumors about the nature of Levert's release from Ohio... rumors that he cleared up for the record in his conversation with GoBlueWolverine.

“My release allows me to go to any school except for MAC schools -- other than that I have no restrictions. I am allowed to play right away."

As far as a timetable for a decision, LeVert is more concerned with making the right choice.

“It could be this week or next week, or it very well could be sooner than that," he said. "It is important that me, my mom, and Coach Jerry Francis make a decision that is right for me. I think all the schools are great with great coaches and academics."

okay, is this guy anything special? I really hope Coach B isn't trying to fill his scholarships just to fill them. No reason to offer someone a schollie if he's just going to ride the bench.

I don't know if I'd call him special, but I think he's a little higher caliber than his 3 stars and Ohio commitment suggest. From a GBW article after he decommitted...

"At the time the young man was committed to Ohio University, a development that registered in the minds of many pundits as one of the biggest mid-major steals in the country."

He's 6'4", can shoot, and led his team to a state title. I have no problem competing with Purdue and Xavier for some recruits...you gotta have some guys that stay 4 years, right? Definitely not a Colton Christian situation, and maybe a notch above Bielfeldt from last year. Here's some video...

http://www.umhoops.com/2012/05/02/video-caris-levert-senior-year-open-gym-highlights/

From a umhoops article, with a quote from Levert's coach, who played for Ohio* and has been a D1 college coach...

It should be no surprise that some big name schools are now interested in LeVert. In Pickerington’s run in the playoffs, which culminated in a state title, LeVert poured in 22 points per game.

“Caris took the team and put them on his back,” Francis said. “He’s an outstanding scorer on the catch and bounce, on the move, in transition — I mean, he can really put the ball in the basket. He’s long, limber, and just extremely skilled at basketball.”

And a quick scouting report on him...

http://tripledoubleprospects.com/2011/09/11/caris-levert/

Evaluation: Pure shooter and scorer with deep range and a quick release Caris uses his long frame to get shots off over defenders. Slashing scorer as well that can use the bounce to create shots for himself Levert is capable of having huge scoring games. Is still in the development stages with his body as he is on the thin side but has the athleticism and the length to make up for that at the time being.

Bottom Line: Emerging scoring guard that is committed to Ohio University. One of the top shooters and scorers in Ohio that is consistent with his numbers.

Back