Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

*Official UM Hoops Thread*

He was still in AA this morning. He was offered a scholarship, no word yet if he left town a Wolverine..

Some info on a potential 2014 recruit. I used to watch his dad play in high school quite a bit, so I'll be paying attention to his recruitment...

Tate makes an impression

Jae'sean Tate By Brian Snow
National Recruiting Analyst
Posted May 8, 2012

His father was a standout on the basketball court, and now Jae'sean Tate is following in those footsteps.

For Pickerington (Ohio) Central standout Jae’sean Tate it has been an impressive spring. The combo forward has led his All-Ohio Red team to a gaudy record, and recruiting interest is beginning to really come in for him.
At 6-foot-5 and 205 pounds, Tate looks more like a football player than a basketball player, but when you put him on the court he just gets things done. Tate is almost a lock for a double-double every time out on the floor.

Now Tate says he is focused on expanding his game and proving he can do things on the perimeter and not just inside.

“I’ve been working on my dribbling and shooting,” said Tate. “I have always been like an undersized big man, so I am trying to get my guard skills down.”

One interesting thing about Tate is the fact that he is also a standout on the football field. Right now he says he isn't sure which sport is in his future.

“Football is a big part of our school,” he explained. “We push it just as much as basketball. I don’t let it interfere too much. During the week I workout with football and then on the weekends it is basketball.”

When it comes to recruiting, several schools have become involved.

“Iowa, Michigan, Kent State, Akron, and Dayton are all recruiting me,” said Tate.

Tate’s AAU team is coached by Benji Burke, father of Michigan point guard Trey Burke, and also there are connections to the Wolverines at his high school.

“Michigan is a big part of our school,” said Tate. “Two commitments are going there to play football. Also I play for the father of Trey Burke, so if I could go there it would be a great thing.”

Also fellow Big Ten conference member Iowa is beginning to really step up their recruitment of Tate.

“Iowa looks like a great school to go to,” said Tate. “I am just willing if I fit in there to go there. I am just trying to find out more information and find a place where I fit in.”

Tate says he is just now beginning to focus on his recruitment, and he is going to look closely for a school that he feels will help him develop as a player and improve his weaknesses on the floor.

He was listed as a top performer in the Spiece run n slam event over the weekend (as was Donnal). Here the excerpt...

Jae'sean Tate
Size: 6-5/205 | NR
Quick Take:The word that always comes to mind when watching him play is “beast”. Tate put his All-Ohio team on his back and brought them to the championship game. Despite being somewhat of an undersized forward, Tate makes up for it with desire, toughness, and an uncanny ability to rebound and finish in the mid-range. All weekend long he was one of the most productive players at his age group, and the argument could be made he was the single most productive at the event.

Do you see me talking about any other 2014 kids? Not that it's much of a stretch anyway, Beilein will be issuing offers in a month or so, and if last year is any indication there could be some commitments at that point.

When I was 13/14 I watched his dad play quite a bit in high school. My dad, brother, and I actually travelled to watch them in the state tournament. He and Woodson were the first two athletes I followed in high school who went on to play bigtime college sports. I was crushed when he went to ohio...it would be pretty damn cool if his kid ends up playing at Michigan.

I think Beilein tries to get ahead of the curve on players he targets. Look at Hardaway and Robinson he offered them really early in the process when no one really was on board with how good they were. By the time they got to school other schools were just starting to take notice.

ESPN's 2013 top 100 rankings came out, good news for Michigan commits...

Walton #39
Irvin #61
Donnal #65

Oh yeah, basketball.

I'm sure it'll take some time for Trey Burke to win over the hearts of some Michigan fans again, but this quote is encouraging...

"Burke told Rankin that his biggest improvement came in learning to read the pick-and-roll and adjust to teams guarding him."

I'm glad he's identifying his weaknesses and working on them. He's got a little bit to learn from a PR perspective, but I think he's a very smart kid overall. I feel pretty good about him stepping into the leadership void left by Novak's graduation. Here's the freep article it came from...

http://www.freep.com/article/201206...rke-keeps-learning-at-summer-basketball-camps

And a good overview of what he and Hardaway have been up to over the summer...

http://www.umhoops.com/2012/06/25/trey-burke-tim-hardaway-jr-participating-in-summer-camp-circuit/

Oh yeah, basketball.

I'm sure it'll take some time for Trey Burke to win over the hearts of some Michigan fans again, but this quote is encouraging...

"Burke told Rankin that his biggest improvement came in learning to read the pick-and-roll and adjust to teams guarding him."

I'm glad he's identifying his weaknesses and working on them. He's got a little bit to learn from a PR perspective, but I think he's a very smart kid overall. I feel pretty good about him stepping into the leadership void left by Novak's graduation. Here's the freep article it came from...

http://www.freep.com/article/201206...rke-keeps-learning-at-summer-basketball-camps

And a good overview of what he and Hardaway have been up to over the summer...

http://www.umhoops.com/2012/06/25/trey-burke-tim-hardaway-jr-participating-in-summer-camp-circuit/

Not impressed with his "I'm the greatest!" attitude?

I have to say that the whole draft saga did rankle me some. He won't be my favorite player this year, but I will obviously root for him to do well in his last season for Michigan.

Last edited:
IMO the only thing he did wrong with The Decision was not controlling what got out to the media. It's hard to be too mad at a 19 year old for not being PR savvy though, and as far as the time and effort he put into getting his draft stock evaluated goes, I think he did the right thing.

Michigan sent out their offers to 2014 prospects on 6/15, reportedly only offering two soon to be Juniors.

Devin Booker - a 6'4" sg out of Mississippi (grew up in Michigan, recently transferred down to Miss, but mom still lives here), ranked 31 per rivals, 29 per scout, and 23 per espn. His dad played for Missouri, who may be Michigan's biggest competition.

Keita Bates-Diop - a 6'7" wing out of Illinois, 39 overall per rivals, 40 per scout, and 44 per espn. Purdue is one of the other front runners to land him.

Two consensus top-50 recuits...I'd take it.

Recent Scout article on Booker...

Michigan "a frontrunner” for Devin Booker

By Kyle Bogenshutz
GoBlueWolverine.com
Posted Jun 22, 2012

John Beilein and the Michigan basketball program extended an offer to 2014 shooting guard Devin Booker. The top 40 shooting guard gives GBW the latest on the offer, his decision timeline and where the Wolverines stand.

June 15th has become a very important day for the Michigan basketball program. With just two prospects standing out among the rest to the Wolverine braintrust in the class of 2014, one of those two scholarships handed out went to Moss Point high school (MS) shooting guard Devin Booker. “We set (a call) up for like 9:30 in the morning,” Booker told GoBlueWolverine. “So I woke up, they called, and I talked to the whole staff. Beilein was the one that actually obviously offered.”

Devin wasn’t the only one excited about the good offer-news.

“My mom, she’s been a Michigan fan her whole life, so she’s just really excited,” Booker said, “and my dad was too. Obviously not as excited as her—but yeah, they’re proud of me.”

After moving to Mississippi from Grandville, Michigan, the Wolverine offer didn’t come as a surprise to Booker. With so much time to think about the offer that was eventually coming, Booker told Michigan he still isn’t certain on a definite timeline for his college decision.

“I told them that I haven’t sat down with both of my parents, and we haven’t really discussed it. As of now, we’re just taking it slow—until we sit down and cut down the list, and figure the top five out, and go from there,” said Booker.

While Booker doesn’t have an official top five at this point, the Wolverines have done a nice job of positioning themselves for the scoring guard’s services.

“I don’t have an exact spot, but they are a frontrunner, one of my top schools,” said Booker.

With so many friends and family wanting to know where Booker is leaning, Wolverine fans may remember that class of 2013 point guard Derrick Walton was in a similar position just last summer. Now, one year later, Walton has taken to social media hoping to lure Booker into the fold.

“We’ve talked through Twitter a little bit,” said Booker. “He tweeted at me and said congrats, you know, and asked me, now that I have the offer, what am I going to do with it? And I said the same thing: I’m not sure yet, I haven’t sat down with my parents and discussed it.”

After a strong performance at the Elite 100 camp just a few weeks ago, Booker was invited to compete in both the Kevin Durant and LeBron James camps this summer.

With a recruitment that is on the verge of blowing up, it’s no surprise Booker heard from another relatively prominent school in his life on June 15th, the Missouri Tigers.

“That one caught me off guard, because it was like 1:00 in the morning, and Missouri already called, actually, so I wasn’t expecting them to call again—and then Coach Haith called at like 1:00 in the morning,” said Booker. “I was sleeping, actually. But I answered, and it was Haith.”

Regarding the Tigers offer Booker said, “Well, you know, it’s my dad alma mater, I had to – kind of the same with Michigan. They’ve been there from the beginning, and I’ve been up to campus a lot. So it’s kind of similar.”

With Michigan holding strong near the top of Booker’s list, the importance of bringing his father on a visit to Ann Arbor continues to grow; and although plans haven’t been discussed or put into place, it appears it will happen going forward.

“We haven’t really talked about that, but I’m sure he will eventually,” said Booker.

Sam Webb contributed to this report.

Back