Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Stonum

johnny2x2x said:
You know, Darryl Stonum hasn't faced any real consequences from Michigan yet, he was not really suspended from the team, he was red shirted. He's been practicing with them, eating at the training table and he even traveled to New Orleans with them. He now has 4 alcohol incidents and 3 driving while license suspended/revoked and he's in jail for 10 days missing class presently, but he's kept his schollie and been part of the team the whole while. That's a shame, but I think Hoke will do the right thing now.

Redshirting is a good compromise. The player isn't missing games from his 4 years of eligibility, but he's not on the field either. It's appropriate when the coach thinks the player can get his life together, but he needs a whole year to do it. It's not a shame. If the player doesn't get his act together and doesn't get back on the field, the team doesn't benefit. When a coach is giving a player 2nd (and 3rd and 4th) chances, you can be skeptical of the influence of the benefit of having that player on the field, but with redshirting you don't have that. It's a decent thing for a coach to do. Booting him from the team rather than taking a chance that he'll clean up his act over the next year would free up a scholarship that much earlier too.

johnny2x2x said:
Hungry said:
he got suspended for 13 games, including a bcs game. Making him workout and practice is a good thing. I can never understand why some coaches suspend players from practice. That doesn't hurt the player at all.

Not true, suspended would mean he was not part of the team, he just was forced to take a redshirt year so he didn't lose a year of eligibility. Suspended players do not travel with the team or eat at the training table. Red shirting him was the only way that they could have him available for 2012. If they would have suspended him for 6 games in 2011 they would have lost him for 2012. This has every thing to do with the depth chart at WR in 2012 and is pretty weak.

We'll see what Hoke does now, but this kid is not on his 2nd or 3rd strike, it's like his 7th strike.

I disagree. Missing 13 games including a bcs bowl game that he normally would've played in is a long suspension. It is better for him to be forced to practice and work with the team than it is to suspend him from those activities. You can disagree all you want. There is no guarantee that he will play in any future game or that they will make a bcs game next year. He's missed out on a lot and deservedly so.

As far as thinking that Hoke did it only to benefit himself, just think: This team went 11-2 and was a few plays away from being undefeated. You don't think having Stonum on the team would've affected this season? This team might've won another game or 2 if it had Stonum on the team. What effect he will have on the team next year...if any, is yet to be seen. The future is never promised.

It was the perfect decision for Hoke and for Michigan. They looked at their depth chart before they made it and saw they were OK in 2011, but that 2012 they were very thin. Suspend him 6 games and he plays in 2011, but loses his eligibility for 2012. That way they get to say they are being tough, but the player is losing no career games and their depth chart situation is helped a lot. If the 2011 WR depth chart was as thin as the 2012's there might have been a different decision made, but who knows. What matter now is he screwed up again and Hoke was pretty specific about what the expectations were for Stonum and he clearly didn't meet those expectations. Too bad, would have conveniently worked out perfect for U of M's depth chart.

johnny2x2x said:
It was the perfect decision for Hoke and for Michigan. They looked at their depth chart before they made it and saw they were OK in 2011, but that 2012 they were very thin. Suspend him 6 games and he plays in 2011, but loses his eligibility for 2012. That way they get to say they are being tough, but the player is losing no career games and their depth chart situation is helped a lot. If the 2011 WR depth chart was as thin as the 2012's there might have been a different decision made, but who knows. What matter now is he screwed up again and Hoke was pretty specific about what the expectations were for Stonum and he clearly didn't meet those expectations. Too bad, would have conveniently worked out perfect for U of M's depth chart.

Nope, the perfect thing for Michigan would've been to suspend him for 5 games and bring him back for the game at MSU and the rest of this season. They could've used him for this season. I think the depth chart will be just fine next year, with or without Stonum. Sure, it'd be nice having a player like Stonum on the field. It would've been nice having Stonum and Hemmingway out there together this season.

Hungry said:
As far as thinking that Hoke did it only to benefit himself, just think: This team went 11-2 and was a few plays away from being undefeated. You don't think having Stonum on the team would've affected this season? This team might've won another game or 2 if it had Stonum on the team. What effect he will have on the team next year...if any, is yet to be seen. The future is never promised.

having another talented WR out in the field in games our passing struggled would have been HUGE.

Hungry said:
Until Hoke has 2 gang beatdowns in 2 years and then comes out in public saying that he will have a zero tolerance policy concerning those players involved from here after and then one of those players gets a DUI, serves his jail time and then immediately is inserted into a blowout loss at Iowa, then Hoke isn't approaching Dantonio status, so you can get that junk out of here.

This bears repeating.

Also: note that the players in the 2nd beatdown LIED TO THEIR COACH'S FACE about their involvement, and were still on the team

MichChamp02 said:
Hungry said:
Until Hoke has 2 gang beatdowns in 2 years and then comes out in public saying that he will have a zero tolerance policy concerning those players involved from here after and then one of those players gets a DUI, serves his jail time and then immediately is inserted into a blowout loss at Iowa, then Hoke isn't approaching Dantonio status, so you can get that junk out of here.

This bears repeating.

Also: note that the players in the 2nd beatdown LIED TO THEIR COACH'S FACE about their involvement, and were still on the team

Well, we don't know that for sure. That might just be the public story. I believe that they told him and that he tried as best as he could to cover for them and get them on the field ASAP.

Give me a break. As if the issues Stonum is facing are in any way part of some larger conspiracy by the coaching staff to suspend him for only a brief time period.

I don't know why I bother reading comments on news articles about Michigan. People are so stupid it hurts.

"Hoke is no different than Dantonio. If hemingway was an underclassmen, Stonum never would have been given a redshirt. Fact is, Hoke needs Stonum next year. I guess UM is back to being convict U. Between the drug addicts and acholics it's going to be a long 2012."

News article on AA.com: http://www.annarbor.com/news/crime/darryl-stonum-probation-violation-michigan-football/

jesndave said:
I don't know why I bother reading comments on news articles about Michigan. People are so stupid it hurts.

"Hoke is no different than Dantonio. If hemingway was an underclassmen, Stonum never would have been given a redshirt. Fact is, Hoke needs Stonum next year. I guess UM is back to being convict U. Between the drug addicts and acholics it's going to be a long 2012."

News article on AA.com: http://www.annarbor.com/news/crime/darryl-stonum-probation-violation-michigan-football/

If you read any comments section after an article, it is painful. The amount of stupidity that is posted on comment walls/sections is unreal. This is what happens when the internet gives everyone a voice. You hear the voices/opinions of people who don't deserve to be heard.

michlady77 said:
reading the article today does not look good for him

Hello Payton?

(I haven't read the entire thread, so apologies if this has been mentioned.)

GoBlueInAtlanta said:
michlady77 said:
reading the article today does not look good for him

Hello Payton?

(I haven't read the entire thread, so apologies if this has been mentioned.)

Payton committed to Cal today. I really was hoping he would come here. I am very worried about our WR's

I also think that darryl has bigger issues than playing football

The judge's comments are strong
He may not play fir us, can lose a shot at nflm if he has repeated behavior issues, etc

Too talented

All ribbing aside, you hope the kid gets his life together and he's been at Michigan for 4 years so you hope he's close to graduating and has something to show for his time there. Probably wont play football again, but that doesn't mean he can't be successful.

johnny2x2x said:
All ribbing aside, you hope the kid gets his life together and he's been at Michigan for 4 years so you hope he's close to graduating and has something to show for his time there. Probably wont play football again, but that doesn't mean he can't be successful.

Agree I hope he can lick ths problem
He us too young too be like this

His tweets last few weeks had all been positive

michlady77 said:
johnny2x2x said:

Agree I hope he can lick ths problem
He us too young too be like this

His tweets last few weeks had all been positive

You know, in my experience, the people that get multiple DUIs and other alcohol offenses, Stonum has 4 total, are really serious alcoholics. Sure there are exceptions, but 99.9% of people who have been in trouble, not once, not twice, but 4 times with the courts for alcohol including 2 DUIs have a serious issue. The system is set up to net people like that, even with DUI you get 1 free pass. Sure it will cost you a ton, but you wont be in the system forever for having a few too many and driving once. It takes being a drunk to get caught 4 times.

It's good he had the chance to go to U of M on scholarship for 4 years, hopefully he did something for himself in that time.

Back