Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers and MLB 2019-2020 Free Agents Rule 5 Offseason Calendar Winter Meetings

The Red Sox mortgaged their future and now they are paying the bill. Just like the Tigers did.

True, but also he mentions this paragraph from NBC HardballTalk that many owners are following.
And there lies the disconnect, emblematic of this era of austerity baseball.
The fan experience has taken a back seat because that stream of revenue (tickets, concessions, et. al.) no longer holds as much importance for many MLB teams. Teams used to be motivated to build perennial contenders to attract fans to the ballpark. Instead, with TV deals, revenue sharing, and ancillary business ventures, front offices are free to do the bare minimum to maximize profits.

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2020/02/04/red-sox-didnt-have-to-trade-mookie-betts/

True, but also he mentions this paragraph from NBC HardballTalk that many owners are following.
And there lies the disconnect, emblematic of this era of austerity baseball.
The fan experience has taken a back seat because that stream of revenue (tickets, concessions, et. al.) no longer holds as much importance for many MLB teams. Teams used to be motivated to build perennial contenders to attract fans to the ballpark. Instead, with TV deals, revenue sharing, and ancillary business ventures, front offices are free to do the bare minimum to maximize profits.

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2020/02/04/red-sox-didnt-have-to-trade-mookie-betts/

I saw that...it's just the time we live in. With people binge watching or watching TV on DVR, advertising on live sporting events is in very high demand. I don't think we watch any live TV in our house (outside of me watching sports)

As far as front offices trying to maximize profits...that's fine with me. They are in business to make money.

some of these "fanside" articles are too biased. He cherry picked some of Boyd's stats from 2019 to make the case that he is equal to or better than Maeda. Overall, Maeda is better than Boyd. Better K/9, gives up fewer HRs, lower WHIP, lower ERA. Hell, Maeda is even cheaper than Boyd and under contract until after the 2023 season.

I agree. Boyd still has to prove he can 'win' more than he loses ..and that he can win despite excellence from his pitching foes.

However, Boyd apparently still has the potential to change all that during the first 4 months of 2020 ..and if he does ..will be an extremely valuable trade chip come July 31, 2020.

Not sure I'd trade him though. Depends upon the return that may be offered.

Also, .. this is where the depth of their farm system could come into play. Because 'if' Boyd does become the pitcher that Tiger fans hope for ..and he does become one of the best trade prospects in MLB come July 31 ..the Tigers could elect to retain him and trade one of their prospects instead ..and perhaps still get as good a return.

Last edited:
I agree. Boyd still has to prove he can 'win' more than he loses ..and that he can win despite excellence from his pitching foes.

However, Boyd apparently still has the potential to change all that during the first 4 months of 2020 ..and if he does ..will be an extremely valuable trade chip come July 31, 2020.

Not sure I'd trade him though. Depends upon the return that may be offered.

Boyd still has to prove he can 'win' more than he loses
no problem, just get an offence that can score RUNS! CY Young would have a hard time winning with this team.

Boyd still has to prove he can 'win' more than he loses
no problem, just get an offence that can score RUNS! CY Young would have a hard time winning with this team.

I agree .. gotta score more runs .. lots more.

However, ..Boyd's 4.56 ERA last year certainly did not help him. He absolutely must bring that down by a run or more.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...impact-detroit-tigers-kirk-gibson/4695935002/
MLB's crackdown on TV-front office moonlighting unlikely to impact Tigers' Kirk Gibson. No conflict of interest, all on same team, at least for now unless bozo manfred decides otherwise.
Detnews

https://www.mlive.com/sports/2020/0...s-from-mets-off-of-sunday-night-baseball.html
Jessica Mendoza resigns from Mets, off of ?Sunday Night Baseball?. Conflict of interest due to working for national sports media and team.
Mlive

Last edited:
Back