Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers aren't getting Choo, okay already?

Might as well go out and get Gardner now. He's better than Dirks, and the Yanks absolutely need to deal him now so it probably wouldn't cost much. Not a huge market for LF with no power.. but he'd be an upgrade and OBP/Speed we need at the top.

This is the only offseason I can remember that actually hurt worse than the Tigers losing in the regular season/Playoffs. It feels like we've already lost next year.

This is the only offseason I can remember that actually hurt worse than the Tigers losing in the regular season/Playoffs. It feels like we've already lost next year.

With the way the Yanks are reloading. Not sure there will be a need for a season/playoff. BTW Choo about the only one left that looks like he could replace Prince/Peralta offense. Cabrera going to have a HOF season to carry this team.

Wonder if the Yankees would consider trading Soriano? Since the Cubs are paying $13 million of his owed $18, $5 million out of pocket plus maybe Casey Crosby or someone wouldn't be so bad considering what he's capable of.

That's assuming they plan on keeping Ichiro, and Wells who's untradeable to go with Beltran and Gardner.

With the way the Yanks are reloading. Not sure there will be a need for a season/playoff. BTW Choo about the only one left that looks like he could replace Prince/Peralta offense. Cabrera going to have a HOF season to carry this team.

The Yankees aren't the favorite, even if they add that Japenese pitcher.

Wonder if the Yankees would consider trading Soriano? Since the Cubs are paying $13 million of his owed $18, $5 million out of pocket plus maybe Casey Crosby or someone wouldn't be so bad considering what he's capable of.

That's assuming they plan on keeping Ichiro, and Wells who's untradeable to go with Beltran and Gardner.

I know this sounds crazy but wonder could Soriano play second again? I know the Yank D would be questionable. But that pack there lineup.

Go sign a 16 yr old Cuban that says hes 23 and is all juiced out of his mind.

But does he make sense as a platoon with Dirks? He doesn't hit LH pitching.

Last 3 years vs. LH pitching

.266/.317/.771

Sure he does.

Last 3 Years

Home = .268 BAVG .320 OBP .436 SLG .756 OPS

Away = .285 BAVG .329 OBP .524 SLG .853 OPS

In a neutral hitting environment, a player will have a 50 point better home OPS. Meaning his home OPS over the last 3 years realistically should have been around .900 OPS. That increase would also translate into his splits versus left and rights.

Sure he does.

Last 3 Years

Home = .268 BAVG .320 OBP .436 SLG .756 OPS

Away = .285 BAVG .329 OBP .524 SLG .853 OPS

In a neutral hitting environment, a player will have a 50 point better home OPS. Meaning his home OPS over the last 3 years realistically should have been around .900 OPS. That increase would also translate into his splits versus left and rights.

Are those his stats vs. LH pitching over the past 3 years? If so they certainly don't jive with what I found. Maybe one of the sites is off.

Still not much out there on Choo

The only report I've seen today is that the Reds are unlikely to re-sign him

https://twitter.com/m_sheldon/status/409369497699512320

"Reds general manager Walt Jocketty confirmed Saturday that it would be "very difficult" to re-sign Shin-Soo Choo in this free agent market.
With the types of dollars and long-term contracts that are being thrown around this offseason, there simply isn't room in the budget for the Reds to hand Choo over $100 million. The Tigers, Rangers, Red Sox and Mariners appear to be the most likely landing spots for the 31-year-old outfielder. Dec. 7 - 12:23 pm et"

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pl...gnews.asp?sport=MLB&id=315&line=416309&spln=1

Still not much out there on Choo

The only report I've seen today is that the Reds are unlikely to re-sign him

https://twitter.com/m_sheldon/status/409369497699512320

"Reds general manager Walt Jocketty confirmed Saturday that it would be "very difficult" to re-sign Shin-Soo Choo in this free agent market.
With the types of dollars and long-term contracts that are being thrown around this offseason, there simply isn't room in the budget for the Reds to hand Choo over $100 million. The Tigers, Rangers, Red Sox and Mariners appear to be the most likely landing spots for the 31-year-old outfielder. Dec. 7 - 12:23 pm et"

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pl...gnews.asp?sport=MLB&id=315&line=416309&spln=1

Tiger's offer has been on the table for 2-3 days now and still no word from his camp. I would expect as of now with how everything has fallen he ends up in Boston or Seattle. I envision Cruz possibly going back to the Rangers. Somehow someway I envision the Tigers ending up with Gardner or Dirks as their starting LF come Spring Training but will see in 3-4 days because I expect Choo and others to be signed before the end of the Winter Meetings.

Tiger's offer has been on the table for 2-3 days now and still no word from his camp. I would expect as of now with how everything has fallen he ends up in Boston or Seattle. I envision Cruz possibly going back to the Rangers. Somehow someway I envision the Tigers ending up with Gardner or Dirks as their starting LF come Spring Training but will see in 3-4 days because I expect Choo and others to be signed before the end of the Winter Meetings.

I haven't been able to find any stories about an official offer to Choo.

I wanted the Tigers to go after Brett Gardner 4 years ago, but some here and at espn said you need more production from a corner outfielder.

Pros: He can play CF + LF, takes pitches, works the count, very good bunter, gets infield hits, steals bases, gives gold glove caliber defense,
Cons: Doesn't hit for power, mediocre arm,

Let's hope we don't get Cruz.

Agreed but I also hope we don't get Gardner. That would be making a trade for someone who does not fill a need we have.

Speedy stolen base guys wont help much if only Cabrera is around to drive them in.

I wanted the Tigers to go after Brett Gardner 4 years ago, but some here and at espn said you need more production from a corner outfielder.

Pros: He can play CF + LF, takes pitches, works the count, very good bunter, gets infield hits, steals bases, gives gold glove caliber defense,
Cons: Doesn't hit for power, mediocre arm,

He would add some excitement to the team. I wouldn't trade away too much for him. Trading Porcello for him would have been nice. Too bad we don't have Fister.

He would add some excitement to the team. I wouldn't trade away too much for him. Trading Porcello for him would have been nice. Too bad we don't have Fister.

1-year Gardner is too little for Porcello. Gardner would have to play CF in order to have any real value to this team.

1-year Gardner is too little for Porcello. Gardner would have to play CF in order to have any real value to this team.

Yeah Porcello for Gardner even if we didn't trade Fister would have been a bad deal for a 1 year rental so to speak. If the Tigers make a play for Gardner it would have to be a 3 team trade since the Yankees would like a starting pitcher in return for Gardner.

Back