Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers close to signing Rajai Davis

First of all, I have no aliases. I have been posting with "Rebbiv" since 1998 at the Old ESPN Message board. I joined MotownSports Message board in 2003 when the first Exodus occurred and signed up as Rebbiv. I went back to ESPN and posted there until we all migrated a few years back.

Until the ESPN board went away, I hardly had an occasional personal attack. Since then, it seems to be a common occurrence of those that find my stat based arguments unpalatable.

Bottom line is that I am not trying to "convert" anyone. You are entitled to you opinion as much as I am of mine. So what if I ardently defend my position? It isn't "my job" to convince anyone the world is round. Despite evidence, people are going to believe whatever they want.

It is just a message board. I liken it to a Sports Bar. We all talk a little trash, but some of you take it way too personal and then start the personal attacks. And guess what? If the moderators aren't going to police this place, then I have a right to retaliate. Otherwise it will just get worse. So I drew a line in the sand.

I might say a given player sucks, but I have never said someone's opinion sucks or that they were a moron, idiot, etc. I do not make it personal.

Last edited:
I agree 100%. This guy is all about rooting against the team and the to try and prove his point and make himself look good and DD and Detroit Fans look bad, He will do what ever it takes over any stupid little thing you say.

Example - He POSTS A SCOUTING REPORT SAYING Lombardozzi has Average/ Above average speed.

I used his last minor league season when he was a full time player in 2011 as an example.

I was using SB's/Runs categories only. Posted where this would rank in the 2013 season.

Ellsbury R/SB 92/52
Andrus 91/42
Trout 109/33
Kipnis 86/30
Lombarzozzi 86/30

I put the stop watch to Lombardozzi going from 1st to 2nd stealing a base 3.57 seconds. Proving he has above average speed from a dead stop. Next thing I know Thumb( who I think is Rebbiv's 2nd I.D. USING A SMART PHONE WITH A DIFFERENT I.P. ADDRESS) jumps in with a formula from Fan graphs Than includes Triples I never said one time the guy hits triples. So using this formula is not fair. I was using Lombo's 2011 season, u used a season where he pinch hit 47 games and only had a half season worth the AB'S. All I was trying to say is the guy can steal bases and score runs and has above average speed and that is all.

Stolen Base Percentage = (((SB + 3)/(SB + CS + 7)) ? .4) x 20

Frequency of Attempts = Square root of ((SB + CS)/(1B + BB)) / .07

Percentage of Triples = 3B/(AB-HR-SO) and then put on a scale based on this chart:

< .001 = 0
.001 - .00231 = 1
.00231 - .00392 = 2
.00392 - .00583 = 3
.00583 - .00804 = 4
.00804 - .01055 = 5
.01055 - .0136 = 6
.0136 - .01587 = 7
.01587 - .01898 = 8
.01898 - .02239 = 9
> .02239 = 10

Runs Scored Percentage = (((R ? HR)/(H + BB ? HR)) ? .1) / .04

Then anything one of the components that is below 0 you make 0, anything about 10 you make 10. Then take the mean of the 4 components

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyl58yw6S3I

I left it alone and posted we should let the other posters decide. Read the thread, I do not see anyone coming to your defense. In fact, I see three (not including myself) that mock your premise.

So again, I have a different opinion based on real scouting reports. You based it on some sort of measurement of stats (which I have never seen in 40 years of being a sabermetric). But regardless, it is still just your opinion versus my opinion.

We need a left handed hitter who hits HRs and takes a walk. Davis isn't either of those. We also need someone that could feel in at 1B in case Cabrera is injured or if Castellanos is sent down (moved Miggy back to 3B).

It is called roster flexibility.

Jordan Lennerton?

I'm glad someone else responded to that post about the errors, I was trying REALLY hard not to be a dick.

but I was about at the end of my rope.

Just once why couldn't you do this with one of my posts?

:cheers:

Raja Davis! Phssst waste of time DD

Guess wea aren't going after choo then eh...sigh. Were fkced, this offense is going to be even worse in 2014 than it was in 2013

Last edited:
Can't say I'm not a bit underwhelmed. But we got our closer ;-)

Raja Davis! Phssst waste of time DD

Guess wea aren't going after choo then eh...sigh. Were fkced, this offense is going to be even worse in 2014 than it was in 2013

I really didn't want Choo anyway. Davis isn't a difference maker but he wasn't brought in to be one. Maybe Mr I is tired of losing money.

jesus christ...what kind of horseshit is this...couldn't they sign a AAAA-OF like they did with Tui? Why spend 10 mil for a suckass reject? Why not sign Nefi Perez to bak up Iggy and pay him 20 mil.

I really didn't want Choo anyway. Davis isn't a difference maker but he wasn't brought in to be one. Maybe Mr I is tired of losing money.

Yeah maybe, can't blame him I guess..window is hereby officially closed..but hey we still got the lions..oh wait the aren't going anywhere either, damit it's all down hill from here

jesus christ...what kind of horseshit is this...couldn't they sign a AAAA-OF like they did with Tui? Why spend 10 mil for a suckass reject? Why not sign Nefi Perez to bak up Iggy and pay him 20 mil.

we might need to if we dont have worth or perez on the team. lombardozzi cant competently back up SS.

do I get this right? we have kelly, haladay, lombard and davis. kelly is back up for 1b and 3b. davis is of. haladay c. lombard middle inf. why do we need worth and isn't he and lombard the same, cept lombard is faster.

Maybe the Tigers haven't or won't be throwing in the towel on the '14 season, but it sure looks like they are rolling the dice in too many areas of the team. Only their SP still looks like it could be solid, despite the loss of Fister..BUT..they certainly cannot afford to lose any in the roto to injury or injuries, especially if one or more requires a stint on the DL next season. Perhaps they are willing to reduce their potential to contend short-term, in exchange for being more competitive long term, b/c that is what it looks like they are doing.

do I get this right? we have kelly, haladay, lombard and davis. kelly is back up for 1b and 3b. davis is of. haladay c. lombard middle inf. why do we need worth and isn't he and lombard the same, cept lombard is faster.

lombardozzi = kelly but faster, not worth. he is terrible at SS and has only played there for 9 innings in the bigs, in '11 with the nats. if we have those 4 as the bench, noone can back up SS.

Lombardozzi may not be able to cover SS. He's a 2B/LR-RF type like Kelly Johnson or Ben Zobrist. Lombotomy has played a total of 18 innings at SS in his ML career.

If those 4 guys are our bench...I really hope we stay healthy this year, they make last year's bench of Kelly, Tui, Pena, and Ramon seem like All-Stars.

"Most" teams have players (1 or 2) in the minor leagues that are blocked at the MLB level. DET doesn't have any positional players that fit that bill. Heck, they don't even have any pitchers near term that one would be considered blocked.

So yes, I think they want Lomdardozzi to act as middle infield backup. At first I thought he was going to platoon with Dirks in LF. But now that Davis is signed, I cannot think where else he would play except maybe 3B if Castellanos falters.

The bench right now is a real head scratcher.

"Most" teams have players (1 or 2) in the minor leagues that are blocked at the MLB level. DET doesn't have any positional players that fit that bill. Heck, they don't even have any pitchers near term that one would be considered blocked.

So yes, I think they want Lomdardozzi to act as middle infield backup. At first I thought he was going to platoon with Dirks in LF. But now that Davis is signed, I cannot think where else he would play except maybe 3B if Castellanos falters.

The bench right now is a real head scratcher.
"Black Hole of Suck" is my favorite term.

Back