Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2021 Free Agency and Cap Cuts

Chase Young wins 1 v 1. Thats helps every scheme. Nick Williams wins never.

And Young wasnt available. Young in patricia scheme could have failed too or had bad hamstrings or torn acl.. with how bad scheme and voverage was, even with okwara stepping up it didnt matter.

Julian Okwara still has a shot too. Injury rookie year..Flowers healthy..Will see the 2 they add this year and 2 dts too. Shelton, Williams, Penisini and J Okwara didnt get it done

Last edited:
James post june 1. 5 million in space on june 2. That is 9 from coleman and 5 from james..14 million coming in june. Have it to use or carryover

Two picks away from having Josh Allen and Chase Young.

We have Hockenson and Okudah.

I never thought Allen would slip to us and when Jacksonville was on the clock right before us I thought for sure they would pass with the D-Line they already had. Was very disappointing to say the least.

Chase was the type of player who could change the way an entire defense played (similar to what Suh did for us). If we could of had the #1 pick last year we would have had a chance to alter the entire dynamic of this franchise. We could've gotten a massive haul from the Bengals who would've been #2 for Burrow and still landed Chase Young. The only year that might've been better to pick 1st overall is probably this year. Even when we suck we can't get it right.

I never thought Allen would slip to us and when Jacksonville was on the clock right before us I thought for sure they would pass with the D-Line they already had. Was very disappointing to say the least.

Chase was the type of player who could change the way an entire defense played (similar to what Suh did for us). If we could of had the #1 pick last year we would have had a chance to alter the entire dynamic of this franchise. We could've gotten a massive haul from the Bengals who would've been #2 for Burrow and still landed Chase Young. The only year that might've been better to pick 1st overall is probably this year. Even when we suck we can't get it right.

I know. I thought the same thing. When Jacksonville was on the clock I didn't think there was a chance in hell they were taking Allen. They did.

And in 2019 one play comes to mind SPECIFICALLY when I think about picking 3rd.

Against the Cardnials game 1. Late 4th quarter. Game tied. Stafford throws a wild deep out to someone and telegraphs it (or sailed it, I don't remember). It should have easily been picked....but the DB dropped it. Like, right in his hands might have taken it to the house dropped it. Arizona would have been in field goal range even if he would have fallen down......with a good chance to win that game.

That would have given us the first pick. Chase Young would be a Lion.

Game of inches.

Last edited:
Lions sign blocking Te Josh Hill from Saints..expected good move

Joe Dal cut for 2.3 million
Jaleen Reeves Mabin resigned

Jarrad Davis 1 year 7 mil with Jets
Jamal Agnew 3 years 21 million with Jaguars..wow

Compensatory picks in 2022 for sure

Joe Dal cut for 2.3 million
Jaleen Reeves Mabin resigned

Jarrad Davis 1 year 7 mil with Jets
Jamal Agnew 3 years 21 million with Jaguars..wow

Compensatory picks in 2022 for sure

Either these are bad signings or this shows you that the previous coaching staff didn?t have a clue how to utilize players.

Either these are bad signings or this shows you that the previous coaching staff didn?t have a clue how to utilize players.

Davis was drafted for a different scheme. Also jets arent exactly model franchise

Agnew did well here as returner..tried at cb and wr. Good for him getting a solid deal

I don't know about Davis but Agnew is lol. That's way too much for him.

3 years 14.25 is new number i see for agnew
.that makes more sense. But still decent money for a returner mainly

I know. I thought the same thing. When Jacksonville was on the clock I didn't think there was a chance in hell they were taking Allen. They did.

And in 2019 one play comes to mind SPECIFICALLY when I think about picking 3rd.

Against the Cardnials game 1. Late 4th quarter. Game tied. Stafford throws a wild deep out to someone and telegraphs it (or sailed it, I don't remember). It should have easily been picked....but the DB dropped it. Like, right in his hands might have taken it to the house dropped it. Arizona would have been in field goal range even if he would have fallen down......with a good chance to win that game.

That would have given us the first pick. Chase Young would be a Lion.

Game of inches.

You are or were forgetting the fact Q/P had driven our only good DB out of town. They would have taken Okudah with the #1 overall pick instead of drafting CY...they got the pick they forced themselves into needing.

You are or were forgetting the fact Q/P had driven our only good DB out of town. They would have taken Okudah with the #1 overall pick instead of drafting CY...they got the pick they forced themselves into needing.

Are you referring to Big play "not really big play" Slay. He was overrated as they come.

Ummmmmmm.....no. Nobody was taking Okudah over chase young.

Danny Shelton cut for 4 million in space
Chase Daniel gone for 2.3 million in space

Ummmmmmm.....no. Nobody was taking Okudah over chase young.

We are talking about Quinn...he is not "Nobody"...he is the creator and administrator over arguably the worst Lions D of all time...possibly the worst NFL D of all time. He had created a massive hole at CB when Slay was traded (in no small part by bringing in Patricia to coach, but that is still Quinn's mistake). There is not some massive jump that you are implying by him taking the best CB over the best DL...CB was the biggest hole on the D at the time and him selecting Okudah over Young is not a far reach considering the severe need for a lockdown CB. In their mind, having a lockdown CB would allow the DL time to get to the QB whereas the empty void would allow the QB to throw to the wide open WR long before the DL could get to the QB.

The odds of getting a lockdown CB after R1 drop significantly, far more so than the odds of getting a stud DL after R1. The chances of them filling the CB void were non-existent and CB was the greatest area of need at the time. If they had taken Okudah over Young there would have been many who were upset, but due to the absolute need they really would have had little choice. Every expert had Okudah as a surefire lockdown CB...the fact he underperformed as a rookie is unfortunate and typical of the Lions, but at the time no one could argue taking Okudah. Once the Slay trade was made, they really had no other option even if they had the #1 overall pick.

Taking Young at #1 would have required a different coach from the get go who did not drive away Slay. If they had a different coach, they would more likely not even had the #3 pick as they would have been a better team. All of it falls back on Quinn hiring Patricia.

Back