Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2021 Free Agency and Cap Cuts

We will never know because we didn't pick 2nd.

Hopefully Okudah healthier with a more normal offseason and some experience will help him grow with a new coaching staff. We need him to be a good CB these next few seasons. Same with AO

Lions still have cap space even more june 2 too. But i like drafting a linebacker day 2 as well..

We wanted Trufant,Jones,James, Daniel cut..you were screaming for that and now you complain. Do you just like to complain? Serious question

Coleman and Shelton make sense too with scheme change and 2020 performance/injuries

Last edited:
So where do they sit with cap space now?

"The moves create another $6.3 million in cap space, but add two more holes for the Lions to fill this offseason."

Adjusted Salary Cap is $185 Million and a bit. Space is approximately $13 million.

Last edited:
"The moves create another $6.3 million in cap space, but add two more holes for the Lions to fill this offseason."

Adjusted Salary Cap is $185 Million and a bit. Space is approximately $13 million.

19 mil less Okwara and Hill cap hits. Another 4 mil coming june 2 for coleman too

Lions still have cap space even more june 2 too. But i like drafting a linebacker day 2 as well..

We wanted Trufant,Jones,James, Daniel cut..you were screaming for that and now you complain. Do you just like to complain? Serious question

Coleman and Shelton make sense too with scheme change and 2020 performance/injuries

Its not complaining. Its reality. If Reeves-Maybin is getting PT its because our roster is so devoid of talent hes the only option. IFFF our roster is devoid of talent it will because we dont have the financial ability to cover all of the holes Holmes created on defense.

I have been watching some of these free agent signings. I was a little surprised how many guys are getting pretty good deals. The more I think about it the more I think that teams that have cap room this year and lock guys up are at an advantage. The contracts that are signed this year are going to be huge deals when compared to future contracts when the cap goes back up and especially in 2 years when the new TV deal gets put in place.

Its not complaining. Its reality. If Reeves-Maybin is getting PT its because our roster is so devoid of talent hes the only option. IFFF our roster is devoid of talent it will because we dont have the financial ability to cover all of the holes Holmes created on defense.

These are necessary cuts. They were holes before the cuts were made per everybody here..these cuts clear space for 2022 and beyond too with more dead money in 2021..this is a long term rebuild. We shouldnt be making big splash signings in 2021. Get that through your head

Holmes didnt create any holes other than qb and he got great compensation for that. Cb going young, te replaced, wr was free gency not cuts and added tyrell williams, de resigned

Christian Jones lol. Omg cant believe we lost him. He was a problem at lb..davis a free agent..you guys have been complaining about both of them for 3 years. Jrm signed for special teams and fits new scheme..he may not play any defense. Still more fa and draft

Shelton will be replaced too..calm down

Shaquill Griffin signs three-year deal with Jaguars 3 yr / 40m. Chance to be 45m.

I have been watching some of these free agent signings. I was a little surprised how many guys are getting pretty good deals. The more I think about it the more I think that teams that have cap room this year and lock guys up are at an advantage. The contracts that are signed this year are going to be huge deals when compared to future contracts when the cap goes back up and especially in 2 years when the new TV deal gets put in place.

Seems like a lot of teams are signing guys to fair market deals so don't really think the market at the top has been any different. I think the difference is going to be in the 2nd and 3rd waves of free agency that happens after the draft and before training camp. Then you will get good players on the cheap.

These teams signing these huge deals now are going to be screwed in a couple years. Guys are signing for 14mil AAV with year one cap hits 5mil or less. That means there numbers are going to balloon after year one. That is okay with one or two guys, but the Patriots are going to be in trouble unless most of the deals they have made have little guaranteed money beyond 2021 and low signing bonuses.

Tampa is 100% in win now mode with Brady by pushing money into the future, but eventually that catches up like the Saints this year. Saints got under the cap this year, but pushed a crap ton into the future again so they will be dealing with this issue even after the cap rises. The Bucs might be a really good team for the next 2-3 years, but are going to be garbage for the following couple of years with no QB after Brady retires and no cap space to build a competitive roster because as long as Brady is there they will just keep kicking that can. You can do that for about 3-5 years, but it eventually blows up in your face.

Seems like a lot of teams are signing guys to fair market deals so don't really think the market at the top has been any different. I think the difference is going to be in the 2nd and 3rd waves of free agency that happens after the draft and before training camp. Then you will get good players on the cheap.

These teams signing these huge deals now are going to be screwed in a couple years. Guys are signing for 14mil AAV with year one cap hits 5mil or less. That means there numbers are going to balloon after year one. That is okay with one or two guys, but the Patriots are going to be in trouble unless most of the deals they have made have little guaranteed money beyond 2021 and low signing bonuses.

I think if there are free agents that are good, this is the year that you would want to lock them up for long term. Next off season it is going to be ugly...the contracts are going to be through the roof. This is the year that it would be good to have a bunch of cap space

Rapoport: Marvin Jones Jr. expected to sign with Jaguars

Lions will be getting a ton of comp picks in 2022..maybe 4 extra picks right now..kg, davis, agnew and marvin all.leaving in fa..griffen, harmon, peterson, amendola will count too and prater

Last edited:
Lions will be getting a ton of comp picks in 2022..maybe 4 extra picks right now..kg, davis, agnew and marvin all.leaving in fa..griffen, harmon, peterson, amendola will count too and prater

They have to get snaps and play well. And more money helps.

They have to get snaps and play well. And more money helps.

Most determimmed by contract size
Davis, jones, kg snaps for sure..agnew returner and some offense

4 picks unless we sign someone not cut

Right when the nfc north thinks they are getting rid of andy dalton. In comes andy dalton!

Ross would have been a #2 here. $2.5 mil. Holmes sucks.

Awww he diidnt get your little crush so now he is a bad gm lol

Also if ross was on the lions and had shitty production he had, you would call him biggest bust and worst player ever

Last edited:
Back