Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2021 Free Agency and Cap Cuts

Rumor is golladay declined 16 mil offer. 1) holmes is that dumb to offer him 16 mil 2) golladay is an idiot

Rumor is golladay declined 16 mil offer. 1) holmes is that dumb to offer him 16 mil 2) golladay is an idiot

How much would Jones get? Any better to sign him? Not perfect but he's not bad. I would hate to go into the draft with needing to use 2 draft picks on WR. Maybe go after someone like JuJu.

How much would Jones get? Any better to sign him? Not perfect but he's not bad. I would hate to go into the draft with needing to use 2 draft picks on WR. Maybe go after someone like JuJu.

Marvin is gone. He'll sign in miami for 7-8 mil.

There will be plenty of wr out there. I really hope we don’t over pay for either Jones Jr or Kenny.

The rumor was he turned that down prior to the 2020 season. Has nothing to do w Holmes.

The rumor was he turned that down prior to the 2020 season. Has nothing to do w Holmes.

He still turned down 16m. He won't sign it now because it's Holmes plus 16 is still way too much. 1 good year, 1 decent year and that's its plus he was injured for the last 11 games.

I know wideouts make a ton of money these days but I'd go elsewhere.

He still turned down 16m. He won't sign it now because it's Holmes plus 16 is still way too much. 1 good year, 1 decent year and that's its plus he was injured for the last 11 games.

I know wideouts make a ton of money these days but I'd go elsewhere.

My post had nothing to do w Golladay?s worth. It was directed towards Hughes saying Holmes is that dumb...Holmes didn?t offer the deal.

Looks like he wants to follow Matthew

One of those players expected to be interested in joining Stafford in Los Angeles is Lions wide receiver Marvin Jones Jr., per sources. Jones is scheduled to be a free agent this winter, and he grew up in Fontana, California, and later attended Cal. The Rams and Jones seem like a natural fit even before free agency begins March 17.

I would be very surprised if he signed less then 10mil AAV. He has been a consistent producer here since he came and fell just short of another 1,000 yard season and had 9 TD's. That was coming off a very slow start to the season for him too. I think 3 years 30mil to the Rams is my best guess.

As far as Golladay, IMO he is worth 16mil in todays NFL. He is a very good player. I don't think he will ever be a Julio Jones, but will settle in as a Mike Evans type, top 7-12 WR. Players like Brandin Cooks and Robert Woods make 16mil a year. Kupp makes just under 16mil a year. T.Y. Hilton was making 13mil a year and he signed that contract years ago. Emmanuel Sanders is getting 12mil.

Golladay's market value with the rising cap is 16-18mil a year. I think if he would've stayed healthy it would've been 20-22mil.

I personally think our front office isn't going to want to invest that much in him with where this team stands.

I would be very surprised if he signed less then 10mil AAV. He has been a consistent producer here since he came and fell just short of another 1,000 yard season and had 9 TD's. That was coming off a very slow start to the season for him too. I think 3 years 30mil to the Rams is my best guess.

As far as Golladay, IMO he is worth 16mil in todays NFL. He is a very good player. I don't think he will ever be a Julio Jones, but will settle in as a Mike Evans type, top 7-12 WR. Players like Brandin Cooks and Robert Woods make 16mil a year. Kupp makes just under 16mil a year. T.Y. Hilton was making 13mil a year and he signed that contract years ago. Emmanuel Sanders is getting 12mil.

Golladay's market value with the rising cap is 16-18mil a year. I think if he would've stayed healthy it would've been 20-22mil.

I personally think our front office isn't going to want to invest that much in him with where this team stands.

I agree with both points.

1. He IS worth 16-18. Best contested catch WR in the NFL. As its been pointed out on here many times.....the guy is dead last in the NFL over the last 2-3 years in separation at the point of the throw.....but he makes big catch after big catch. Red zone nightmare because he IS quick enough to hit you with a slant if you just play him over the top.

2. I don't think this regime is willing to spend the money he is looking for. Marginal middle of the field WR that struggles to separate and runs average, sometimes lazy routes. Plus, his body seems to be breaking down and for a jump ball/contested catch guy that's REALLY worrisome. Will be ever be able to play 15-16 games/year? If he can't, is he really worth that money? Great if you have a partnership with Pelaton, bad for winning games.

I think they tag and trade him. The only reason they would actually sign him is because Quinn left us in such a bad spot at the WR position.....and they might not want to spend the #7 pick on a WR.....though there are 3 out there that are worth it.

Hate to say it....but the best place for him would be in GB. Maybe the Packers would be willing to give up their late 2nd for him? Can you imagine KG, Tonyan and Adams in the red zone??? That would be scary.

Last edited:
Looks like he wants to follow Matthew

One of those players expected to be interested in joining Stafford in Los Angeles is Lions wide receiver Marvin Jones Jr., per sources. Jones is scheduled to be a free agent this winter, and he grew up in Fontana, California, and later attended Cal. The Rams and Jones seem like a natural fit even before free agency begins March 17.

Seems like a good fit, but that would give the Rams 3 similar type WR in Kupp, Jones and Woods. No deep threats. Solid route runners. Jones might be the best red zone threat of the 3......something the Rams really struggled with last year if I remember right.

Woods - 6' 190
Jones - 6'2" 199
Kupp - 6'2" 208

I heard they were looking for a deep threat. Not saying they won't sign Jones.....but to pay $8-$10M for a similar type WR doesn't seem like a good value.

12 NFL free agents with ties to the new Lions regime that should interest Detroit

https://sports.yahoo.com/12-nfl-free-agents-ties-201546045.html

A lot of guys on that list I just don't expect because of the money involved to sign them. I think Trey Hendrickson (could be get too pricey) could be someone they keep an eye on and Anzalone if he's cheap enough.

The one guy there who screams natural fit is Larry Ogunjobi. Seems like he has some pass rushing juice, but is coming off a down year. Dorsey would obviously be very familiar with him. He seems like a prime candidate to sign a short term deal so he can hit the market again around age 28. Sign him to a two year deal worth 10-12mil and you get a highly motivated interior rusher at a reasonable price.

A lot of guys on that list I just don't expect because of the money involved to sign them. I think Trey Hendrickson (could be get too pricey) could be someone they keep an eye on and Anzalone if he's cheap enough.

The one guy there who screams natural fit is Larry Ogunjobi. Seems like he has some pass rushing juice, but is coming off a down year. Dorsey would obviously be very familiar with him. He seems like a prime candidate to sign a short term deal so he can hit the market again around age 28. Sign him to a two year deal worth 10-12mil and you get a highly motivated interior rusher at a reasonable price.

Yeah, a lot of Rams and Saints on that list, which is to be expected I guess. I know in my mind that shouldn't matter......but it seems like we go down that road with every coaching change and it seldom works. Collins and Harmon were solid this year.....but we also signed Blount, Shelton......

15 players. That's how many Patricia signed that played for the Pats before coming to Detroit. LOL.

Yeah, a lot of Rams and Saints on that list, which is to be expected I guess. I know in my mind that shouldn't matter......but it seems like we go down that road with every coaching change and it seldom works. Collins and Harmon were solid this year.....but we also signed Blount, Shelton......

15 players. That's how many Patricia signed that played for the Pats before coming to Detroit. LOL.

Agree the Pats they brought in worked. Its others that stunk, the non Pats. Trufant (injury), Vaita (injury), Nick Williams, Christian Jones (why did they like him), Tavia (draft fail), Harris (draft fail), Walker (good until they made him a box safety more), Kearse (why)

Flowers is good, Collins and Harmon solid, Amendola meh but 3rd WR, produced some and was cheaper

There will be Rams and Saints added. And some of them are good players. Like John Johnson, would love him at safety. Hendrickson could be a nice add too but depending on price tag.

Quinn/Patricia werent' solely add only Patriots either. See the players mentioned above. Patricia needed to add Patriots run game, Hightower, Van Noy, Gilmore and McCourtys. Those never happened unfortunately, we only got Flowers, Collins, Shelton and Harmon. Patriots defense worked because it had Flowers, Collins, Shelton and Harmon PLUS those other really good players.

Back