Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2021 Free Agency and Cap Cuts

Yeah, a lot of Rams and Saints on that list, which is to be expected I guess. I know in my mind that shouldn't matter......but it seems like we go down that road with every coaching change and it seldom works. Collins and Harmon were solid this year.....but we also signed Blount, Shelton......

15 players. That's how many Patricia signed that played for the Pats before coming to Detroit. LOL.

The myth of the Bellicheck assistants being awesome had been exposed before Patricia, really had BUST written all over the Quinntricia hirings. Now that Brady has basically shown all of those SBs were due to him instead of Bellicheck, I doubt any of Bellicheck's assistance are hired as coaches again.

Agree the Pats they brought in worked. Its others that stunk, the non Pats. Trufant (injury), Vaita (injury), Nick Williams, Christian Jones (why did they like him), Tavia (draft fail), Harris (draft fail), Walker (good until they made him a box safety more), Kearse (why)

Flowers is good, Collins and Harmon solid, Amendola meh but 3rd WR, produced some and was cheaper

There will be Rams and Saints added. And some of them are good players. Like John Johnson, would love him at safety. Hendrickson could be a nice add too but depending on price tag.

Quinn/Patricia werent' solely add only Patriots either. See the players mentioned above. Patricia needed to add Patriots run game, Hightower, Van Noy, Gilmore and McCourtys. Those never happened unfortunately, we only got Flowers, Collins, Shelton and Harmon. Patriots defense worked because it had Flowers, Collins, Shelton and Harmon PLUS those other really good players.

So, if we would have signed a bunch of high priced stars we would have had a shot at .500?

#HOLELESS
#12-4BASEMENT
#SalaryCapDon'tMatter

So, if we would have signed a bunch of high priced stars we would have had a shot at .500?

#HOLELESS
#12-4BASEMENT
#SalaryCapDon'tMatter

The Pats players they added were some of our best players. Drafted poorly but 2020 actually looks a solid draft. TBD. Also maybe they are good players but it was just really really bad coaching. We can find that out with some players this year. Also injuries played a factor. Trufant solid CB, Trufant on a bum hamstring all year and missing a ton of games is a fail

Okudah another great example. Slam dunk stud CB everyone says. Well bad coaching, thrown into fire, bad groin, bad shoulder and missing time. That's a rookie year fail. And could have used more pass rush help, LB Coverage help and safety help that he didn't get. It's Okudah destined to suck forever, maybe not. Maybe he can be a really good player. We shall see if its him or circumstances around him in 2020. Plus experience matters too for rookies to year 2.

Last edited:
What's with all these QB's? Staff & Goff. Wentz being traded. Watson wants out, Wilson seems to want out or at least is unhappy. Rodgers hinted at it, Brees and Rivers retiring. And a bunch more, SF wants to move on, Chicago too (Can't blame them).

It's like the NBA and these super teams these guys make up. There is less and less competitive fire and more....."easiest way to a title". Fuckin Snowflakes.

Don't win in 3 years......force your way out. It doesn't hurt your reputation.....teams don't care about that. Watson can sit for a year knowing he might lose some salary, but someone is going to pay him. Houston, no matter how much they say they won't trade him, can't afford to have a player not playing count that much against their cap.

I can understand Staffords request....it was 12 years in the making. I think Watson is being a baby. If he wants out that badly, man up and say it. "I was promised to have a say in the decisions about GM and coach and I was lied to. I think this organization is racist and I will not play another down for them". Boom. Ball is in Houston's court. If they don't move him they look like arrogant assholes who are holding a grudge when everyone knows they could get a shit ton of draft capital if they move him. But he sits in purgatory and deletes them from his social media.......boooo fuckin hooooo.

Wilson should shut his fucking mouth. He's CHOSEN to resign with Seattle. He has one SB, he SHOULD have 2 if it wasn't for him throwing one of the worst passes in SB history. He gets paid accordingly. Shut up.

They all need to STFU...Stafford included. I have more respect for CJ and Barry for just retiring vs. these pussy ass QBs crying so they can go to a different team.

Stafford was the right move....until we included Goff in the trade and ended up in the same exact fucking situation. Fucking lions...

The Wentz thing is a debacle. You have to understand that a guy that views himself as a starting calibur guy that gets benched for a mid rounder would want out. Wont be the first or last time that happens.

Watson is a cry baby and is probably seeing what Brady just did in his first year with a new team and trying to get his way. Theres also probably some promises that were made and not kept which is making him salty as fuck.

The raiders thing isnt a surprise...theres been rumors for 2 years that Gruden doesnt like Carr.

Wilson is a bitch....wahhh i dont like getting hit....wahhh.

Last edited:
explain to me how stafford with no extra picks is the same as goff with 3 extra picks including 2 firsts.

Sorry let me clarify. The cap situation is exactly the same. We had a chance to clean that mistake up and Holmes fucked it up all over again.

The QB situation is worse....goff sucks a big fat one.

The picks...yippie a 3rd this year. We can get a #2 WR now...maybe. Future 1st round picks. Lets wait and see how many Ebrons we use those on before we say it a win....deal?

They all need to STFU...Stafford included. I have more respect for CJ and Barry for just retiring vs. these pussy ass QBs crying so they can go to a different team.

It?s ok for the NFL not to guarantee long term money and cut players 2-3 years in the deal. It?s ok for them not to honor the full length of a contract but it?s not ok for the player to speak up and want out?

The days of ?shut up and play? are over!

It?s ok for the NFL not to guarantee long term money and cut players 2-3 years in the deal. It?s ok for them not to honor the full length of a contract but it?s not ok for the player to speak up and want out?

the players sign the contracts too. A player can demand a guaranteed contract.

Why do you think these players are so naive? There is NO WAY these guys go into their contract and think "wow, I'm going to be here for all 5 years of my contract". The second they sign their agents are telling them the reality of the deal. That's why they want "guaranteed" money.......because its all that matters to them....its all they know for sure they're getting.

It's not "OK" for either side to do it, but its the reality of the business. Stop acting like these guys are all clueless idiots. They aren't. Why do you look down on them? Do you think you're somehow superior to them? Is it a racial bias you have?

Why do you think these players are so naive? There is NO WAY these guys go into their contract and think "wow, I'm going to be here for all 5 years of my contract". The second they sign their agents are telling them the reality of the deal. That's why they want "guaranteed" money.......because its all that matters to them....its all they know for sure they're getting.

It's not "OK" for either side to do it, but its the reality of the business. Stop acting like these guys are all clueless idiots. They aren't. Why do you look down on them? Do you think you're somehow superior to them? Is it a racial bias you have?

Theres a lot of things that make trading your franchise qb more difficult...

QBs is the highest paid position on the team. Therefor the guaranteed money you are referring to and dead cap space is typically a lot higher making them harder to move. God forbid you ask for some of that back or else you end up being the bad person for a decade (see Calvin Johnson situation.)

Franchise QBs dont grow on trees. See Cleveland the last 20 years. You find one...you typically try to keep them. Unless they are there for 12 years and never win anything.

Last edited:
Nope...just RBs and TEs.

That was John L. Smith's ENTIRE recruiting philosophy. All the bad RB's and TE's go to LB's and DE's. Bad WR go the the secondary. Bad OL go to DL. That way, you only have to recruit 4-5 positions.

Championship.

Theres a lot of things that make trading your franchise qb more difficult...

QBs is the highest paid position on the team. Therefor the guaranteed money you are referring to and dead cap space is typically a lot higher making them harder to move. God forbid you ask for some of that back or else you end up being the bad person for a decade (see Calvin Johnson situation.)

Franchise QBs dont grow on trees. See Cleveland the last 20 years. You find one...you typically try to keep them. Unless they are there for 12 years and never win anything.

I think the nfl should be the one league that DOES guarantee contracts. Stop all this signing bonus crap. It's the physically toughest sport with the shortest careers (for most players) and the longest lasting, most permanent negative long term affects on the body/mind. Lower the cap a little, guarantee contracts and make each team fund a pension for guys that may not have been stars, but have long term issues (i know that already happens, but I'm saying at a greater rate). If you make more than $50M in your career you're out of the pension. Take care of the guys that need it. If a player has a career ending injury, the team is already compensated for his salary from the insurance company and some % of his cap would be given back to the team....but the player still makes his money.

Stop guaranteeing contracts for baseball and basketball players. SOME of them have injuries that cost them careers (Greg Oden) but for the most part some of these guys sit the end of the bench making $25M/year while their contract is traded 8 times. It's stupid. Any reason Miguel Cabrera should make more this year than most people would make in 10 lifetimes when he sucks at his job?? Nope. None. And I love Miggy!

Last edited:
Someone mentioned a while ago but getting a safety with some speed where he can line up as a LB in a 3-4 might not be a bad option. Assume they can tackle. And hit.

Back