Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2023 Off-Season Thread

Where would you guys select a qb this year?

Jared Goff is the starter and has a reasonable contract
We have 0 back up
We don't really have a long term plan

Id go Hendon Hooker with our 2nd pick in rd 2.

We have 0 back up

I'm good with that. There are a couple guys i like also that I would look into trading for.

1. Bailey Zappe
2. Taylor Heineke
3. Gardner Minshew

I thought Zappe would have been a great pick last year. Still do.

I'm good with that. There are a couple guys i like also that I would look into trading for.

1. Bailey Zappe
2. Taylor Heineke
3. Gardner Minshew

I thought Zappe would have been a great pick last year. Still do.

Wonder what a guy like mariota could do in ben Johnsons offense if forced into action. He should be at that point where he takes a back up deal.

We have 0 back up

That?s a tough question and one that depends on how much you like a guy at the top. If you(Holmes) feel one of these QBs coming out is a can?t miss and is the player to make us a Super Bowl contender, you do what it takes to get him. If you think Goff is a better option next year over the top guys coming out and want a QB to evaluate the next 2 seasons and/or solid backup, maybe Hooker is your guy.

I'm also going to disagree. Bad teams don't use it as an excuse. Bad teams may not manipulate it as well as some others.

The thing about the salary cap, eventually, it's going to catch up to you. Teams that push too much salary down the road chasing the playoffs or rings will end up paying for it at some point. TB and NO are good examples of that right now. TB is currently $57M over and NO $30M over. The Rams are going to be in huge trouble shortly. My guess is they might have one more year of competing for the playoffs, but after that, they are going to be a bottom feeder for a while.

You were right about one thing. NO is a good example of a team currently over the cap by $30mil, yet they are the front runner to land Carr. Point proven, salary cap is an excuse. If you want someone, you find a way!

4yrs $150mil?Only if they weren?t $30mil over the cap! Lol

Last edited:
You were right about one thing. NO is a good example of a team currently over the cap by $30mil, yet they are the front runner to land Carr. Point proven, salary cap is an excuse. If you want someone, you find a way!

The Lions want Goff. And are under the cap by a good bit too.

Baltimore placed the nonexclusive franchise tag on Lamar Jackson. He is free to negotiate with any team in the NFL. If he signs a deal the Ravens can match. If they decide not to match, they get 2 first round picks.

The tag is worth $32M guaranteed. Regular franchise tag would have been $45M

Last edited:
Baltimore placed the nonexclusive franchise tag on Lamar Jackson. He is free to negotiate with any team in the NFL. If he signs a deal the Ravens can match. If they decide not to match, they get 2 first round picks.

The tag is worth $32M guaranteed. Regular franchise tag would have been $45M

$230+mil guaranteed and (2) 1st round picks. Someone will pony up.

Ravens are just proving to Lamar that nobody will pay for that price. And if they do, Ravens will gladly take the two 1sts

they are a smart organization. That's exactly what they are doing.

It?s collision by the other NFL owners that they are not willing to hand over fully guaranteed contracts like Haslam did in Cleveland. We all know these owners have discussions and we can only imagine the shit said behind close doors. They never fully guaranteed Rodgers, Brady, Manning, they damn sure don?t want to do it for Lamar. Has nothing to do w talent or if he?s worth it. It?s about regaining power, control and not letting Haslam/Watson reset the market for the rest of the league.

When it?s all said and done, I do think he?ll get $180+mil guaranteed but he won?t get the Watson deal.

Just my opinion

Last edited:
It?s collision by the other NFL owners that they are not willing to hand over fully guaranteed contracts like Haslam did in Cleveland. We all know these owners have discussions and we can only imagine the shit said behind close doors. They never fully guaranteed Rodgers, Brady, Manning, they damn sure don?t want to do it for Lamar. Has nothing to do w talent or if he?s worth it. It?s about regaining power, control and not letting Haslam/Watson reset the market for the rest of the league.

When it?s all said and done, I do think he?ll get $180+mil guaranteed but he won?t get the Watson deal.

Just my opinion

If Jones got overpaid at 160. Lamar probably deserves to get over paid around 170+. Not sure how many teams are willing to do that.

If Jones got overpaid at 160. Lamar probably deserves to get over paid around 170+. Not sure how many teams are willing to do that.

Not sure I?d call it overpaid for Lamar. The buzz, excitement, revenue he brings to any team makes him worth the money. He?s an MVP talent and the face for any franchise he plays on.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023...s-detroit-lions-future-quarterback-jared-goff

40 million per now for Goff for sure due to Daniel Jones if the Lions decide to re-sign him after 2023 or 2024. But based on Campbell's comments, QB could be taken at 6 too. Glad we have that extra draft capital after pick 6 to build the defense. Holmes set us up perfectly and that is why the Stafford to Rams trade was better than Stafford to Panthers.

Last edited:
Not sure I?d call it overpaid for Lamar. The buzz, excitement, revenue he brings to any team makes him worth the money. He?s an MVP talent and the face for any franchise he plays on.

we shall see. Any team can sign him now. The market is going to determine what he's worth now (unless the Ravens cave to his demands)

Reactions: 503
https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023...s-detroit-lions-future-quarterback-jared-goff

40 million per now for Goff for sure due to Daniel Jones if the Lions decide to re-sign him after 2023 or 2024. But based on Campbell's comments, QB could be taken at 6 too. Glad we have that extra draft capital after pick 6 to build the defense. Holmes set us up perfectly and that is why the Stafford to Rams trade was better than Stafford to Panthers.

Saying it's possible to take a QB at 6 could be a smoke screen too. It's that time of year.

Just my opinion

I think that is exactly what is happening. People are saying how disrespectful this is to Lamar, but I completely disagree. They are telling him they are not willing to give him a fully guaranteed deal. This is his opportunity to find it somewhere else. This is like the opposite of disrespecting him. Let him determine what the market values him.

If someone does offer him a contract, and the Ravens don't match it does that mean the other team have to give the Ravens two 1st round picks?

Back