Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Avril Has Little Leverage

How dare you say a Western Michigan Bronco is a one hit wonder!

Onward for the brown and gold...push em back push em back....bring us fame!!!!

Over 1, over all...we wil REIGN! FIght broncos fight...fight with all your might. WESTERN WIN THIS GAAAAAAAMMEEEE!

Yea Buddy! Western is representing in the NFL right now that's for sure. There are a bunch of alums starting in the league right now.

Wake signed an extension for 49 mil over 4 years. 20 mil guaranteed. greeeeeaaat....

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2012/05/what_would_a_reasonable_long-t.html

Contracts for pass rushers in the NFL:
Charles Johnson, DE, Carolina Panthers -- 6 years, $72 million ($30 million guaranteed)
Elvis Dumervil, DE, Denver Broncos -- 5 years, $61.5 million ($43 million guaranteed)
Mario Williams, DE, Buffalo Bills -- 6 years, $96 million ($50 million guaranteed)
Cameron Wake, LB, Miami Dolphins -- 4 years, $49 million ($20 million guaranteed)
Tamba Hali, LB, Kansas City Chiefs -- 5 years, $60 million ($35 million guaranteed)
DeMarcus Ware, LB, Dallas Cowboys -- 6 years, $78 million ($40 million guaranteed)
Trent Cole, DE, Philadelphia Eagles -- 4 years, $48 million ($14.5 million guaranteed)
Lamarr Woodley, LB, Pittsburgh Steelers -- 6 years, $61.5 million ($22.5 million guaranteed)

The rate is somewhere around $12 million a year.

I'm sure many of you will say he's worse than all of these players, but the main thing is that HE thinks he's as good as many of these players. So, its sorta hard to blame him for wanting the money they're getting.

Last edited:
You forgot Babin.

Babin got his deal as a one-hit wonder. I'm talking about players who perform for more than 1 season, THEN get a new contract.

And he's only 1 guy. He's an outlier, not the trend. No way they could negotiate off his contract.

Last edited:
Wake signed an extension for 49 mil over 4 years. 20 mil guaranteed. greeeeeaaat....

Wake was the kid i wanted back in the day. I used to pepper the ESPN boards about him. I watched him destroy the CFL for a few years before he made the jump to the NFL.

If he wants 12 mil let him walk. He's not worth it IMO. He's a product of Suh eating double teams.
And by walk I mean trade.

Last year with Suh suhspended for the Vikings game Avril had 7.5 tackles 2 sacks 1 forced fumble and 1 fumble recovery.

Last year with Suh suhspended for the Vikings game Avril had 7.5 tackles 2 sacks 1 forced fumble and 1 fumble recovery.

Avril does own Loadholdt. And Avril wasn't doubled much in that game if at all. Avril played against New Orleans without Suh as well.

Avril does own Loadholdt. And Avril wasn't doubled much in that game if at all. Avril played against New Orleans without Suh as well.

If Suh retires, i think Avril should as well. You know, what's the point of Avril being in the league if he doesn't have Suh?

/sarcasm

Considering our leading tacklers were Spievey, Berry and Harris and our top dlineman had 1 tackle you cant take much from that game.

Avril beats singles fairly consistently. That's what he is. Still a good thing. Double digit sacks I'll take it whatever way a Lion player can get it,singles doubles, nobody blocking them, I don't care. Can't make teams double him just to prove a point. It's a good thing no matter who is at DT but with Suh and Fairley we won't have to worry about "does Avril need Suh" if the Lions do decide to pay Avril because they will have Suh and Fairley for at least 3 years or more. Run D needs major work for Avril but that goes for KVB, Levy,Delmas and Spievey as well. Lo Jack and Young graded out better but I think Young at least would struggled if he played more obvious run snaps. He's not going to be paid what he thinks he's worth. Will be interesting to see how it turns out and who buckles first. Avril does have leverage with KVB being old and not worth his cap number and Lo Jack a free agent next year.

Last edited:
Considering our leading tacklers were Spievey, Berry and Harris and our top dlineman had 1 tackle you cant take much from that game.

You can't throw that game out and just count the Viking game. Strief did well in both games against Avril. Suh didn't do much in the playoff game other than the sack and one QB pressure that Bery should have picked. There were games where Avril made big plays and games where he disappeared. We know he's a good fairly consistent DE that still is on the upswing but not a stud DE.

Doubled, singled, shmingled. We play the wide 9 for fucks sake. The DE is lined up between the slot receiver and the tackle meaning he doesn't see doubles from interior lineman a lot and is essentially told to "pin your ears back and get em". Its usually 1 vs 1 + the TE when he chips. His job is to pressure from the outside and push the pocket in and up. Our Dtackles pressure up the middle, usually 2 vs 3 + the RB when he stays in. Linebackers are supposed to flow to the ball and plug the gaps or drop in coverage. That's it. The wide 9! It's annoying to here all the "Avril plays the run terrible" or "he never gets doubles" talk. Its not his job to be a run stuffer or beat tackle + guard doubles. The system is built this way intentionally.

Avril is very good in this system. Hes become better every year and performs his job well above average at this point. Is he worth 12 mill per? Probably not but that's why he hasn't received the 12 yet. Is he only worth 8 per? Probably not as well but in Mayhews eyes that's right where they would love to have em and like LP points out Avril doesn't really have much leverage to force our hand this year. In the end they would probably go up to 9 or 10 and hopefully Cliff will be willing to come down because hes still very young and has a lot of room to grow/develop. Its still all about the guaranteed $ anyways.

This is the dance, its only May, let it simmer a bit longer and when July/August rolls around this thing will either get figured out or Avril will really stick to his guns/conviction, play on the tag and we stand to lose em next off season if he has another good year. Nature of the business yo!

Teams would be idiotic to double Avril lol....he has no inside move. Ride him out....toss him...he flies 10 yards out of the play. Watch a replay of the Saints game.

Last edited:
you're absolutely right, hughes. athletic tackles give him trouble trying to push the edge and can ride em right by the QB. its still his job though to push that edge. its not like he's doing it against the coach's wishes. sure he needs to develop his repertoire more but I feel he's gotten better every year. hopefully that trend continues.

you're absolutely right, hughes. athletic tackles give him trouble trying to push the edge and can ride em right by the QB. its still his job though to push that edge. its not like he's doing it against the coach's wishes. sure he needs to develop his repertoire more but I feel he's gotten better every year. hopefully that trend continues.

ya he needs to realize the difference between setting the edge and taking himself completely out of the play. The problem is once he realizes he going to be out of the play what does he do cause he doesnt seem to be able to rip under and use much leverage to turn the corner and as you stated he cant really spin and get sucked inside either. Its really the reason why ive been surprised they kept him all these years. Deep down i dont think they believe he has the right skill set to be the DE in their defense...they just dont have other options right now and are stuck cause he had a productive year. I guarantee MM was hoping he bombed last year...its why he didnt give him an extension the year befor ewhen he would have been cheap to resign. MM screwed himself.

Back