Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Biogenesis ready to tell MLB on players Arod, Braun, suspensions coming Updated

Maybe that why it was such a strong statement. Scherzer trying to say it's not okay no matter who is doing it.

MLB need more of it's stars to step up denounce players and PED's publicly.

I agree. I just think it took a lot of balls to say that with your own teammate on the list. Kudos to Max.

Might be a deal agreed on with MLB and MLBPA.

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2013/7/28/4565232/mlb-ped-suspensions-jhonny-peralta-biogenesis
MLB PED suspensions could come this week, per report.
from bybtb

Sports Illustrated's Tom Verducci reported that Peralta did not appear to be directly linked to PEDs in the records.

Peralta does not appear to be directly tied to PEDs in the records, as was also the case with Montero. The Levinsons referred comment to an attorney for Peralta, Barry Boss, who released this statement on behalf of Peralta: "I have never used performance enhancing drugs. Period. Anybody who says otherwise is lying."

And, of course, it seems likely if he failed a drug test we'd have heard about it, though you probably can't say for certain with the messy way this investigation has unfolded.

So, whether Peralta would be subject to suspension, and whether that suspension would be 50 games, are both unknowns. If he were to be suspended, would it be in his best interest to serve or appeal?

The Tigers will have 58 games remaining after Sunday's. If a suspension were announced this week, Peralta would seem to be eligible to return in time for the postseason, should the Tigers hold off the Indians for the final two months of the season. Some have posited that the image-conscious Tigers would advise Peralta to accept the punishment rather than appealing.

But would they then decide that having him appear on their playoff roster would "look bad"? You might remember the Giants chose not to add Melky Cabrera to their posteason roster following his suspension last season, and it turned out just fine for them. If the Tigers are truly image conscious, the Giants' decision could be a precedent, or else the Tigers risk being a bad contrast in the eyes of the press (and some fans).

And what would the Tigers do without Peralta? Hernan Perez, who has been filling in for an injured second baseman Omar Infante, would seem the most likely answer when Infante returns -- whenever that is. His ankle injury has lingered longer than expected. Perez is hitting .267/.281/.333, a large drop from Peralta's .304/.359/.451. Utility infielder Ramon Santiago is batting .165/.236/.247, so he's hardly a solution either. Would the Tigers be able to weather the loss of Peralta or would they be forced to make a trade?

They're playing too nice. They have all this evidence and when the suspension is up he gets 60 more mill.

They're playing too nice. They have all this evidence and when the suspension is up he gets 60 more mill.

Thats why I want him banned. He doesnt deserve any more money.

Plus, if he gets the lifetime ban, he'll get banned from the HoF like Pete Rose.

Thats why I want him banned. He doesnt deserve any more money.

Plus, if he gets the lifetime ban, he'll get banned from the HoF like Pete Rose.

http://tracking.si.com/2013/07/28/mlb-biogenesis-suspensions-alex-rodriguez/?sct=mlb_t2_a3
Report: MLB to announce Biogenesis-related suspensions this week. wow.
from sportsillustrated

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i...-historic-ban-article-1.1411133#ixzz2aNocoGJb
If Alex Rodriguez refuses deal from MLB, Bud Selig is expected to pursue lifetime suspension.
According to a source, if A-Rod accepted a settlement that would call for him to be suspended for the rest of this year and the entire 2014 season without pay, he would still have a chance to collect the $60 million the Yankees would owe him from 2015 to 2017.
double wow.
from the newyorkdailynews

T.J. Quinn ‏@TJQuinnESPN

Appears so @aprildanielle27: so Jhonny Peralta is more than likely getting suspended?

Would the Tigers be able to weather the loss of Peralta or would they be forced to make a trade?

Tigers might decide that Perez will either remain @ 2B or move to SS when
Infante returns. Infante or Perez might be moved to SS. They would definitely miss Peralta's power bat and his veteran experience/seasoning during the rest of the season and the possible postseason, if that becomes their fallback plan should Jhonny serve a suspension this season.

Perez is performing fairly well since being called up, but he is still a raw rookie, no telling if he can keep it up for the rest of the season and especially the postseason.

Jhonny's middling power bat and veteran experience, especially in the postseaon would likely be missed, nonetheless,

I am torn between seeing ARoid getting a susupension for the rest of '13 and '14, or better still a lifetime ban, or especilly in the latter case the yankees getting off the hook for the remainder of his salary being ~ $$100MM

Jhonny's middling power bat and veteran experience, especially in the postseaon would likely be missed, nonetheless,[/QUOTE]

Jhonny should be back for the playoffs, I can't see him getting more than 50 games so that will get him back the week before playoffs.

Jhonny should be back for the playoffs, I can't see him getting more than 50 games so that will get him back the week before playoffs.

But would they then decide that having him appear on their playoff roster would "look bad"? You might remember the Giants chose not to add Melky Cabrera to their posteason roster following his suspension last season, and it turned out just fine for them. If the Tigers are truly image conscious, the Giants' decision could be a precedent, or else the Tigers risk being a bad contrast in the eyes of the press (and some fans)

I should have included more of KC's quote above in my relpy, b/c I was basing it in part on if the Tigers were to do like the SF Giants had with Melky Cabrera last year after he returned from suspension, and not include Jhonny on their postseason roster.

Last edited:
I think Arod deserves the same penalty as Braun got.

I think that Jhonny should appeal his so he can finish out they year with the Tigers.

I think Arod deserves the same penalty as Braun got.

I think that Jhonny should appeal his so he can finish out they year with the Tigers.

This. Arod is a giant dick, and the Yankees want any excuse to void his contract and never have him wear the pinstripes again, but I can't see him getting anything stiffer than Braun, who actually failed a test. If nothing else at least Arod admitted his use, like Giambi did, and nobody wanted him banned.

There needs to be a status quo in penalties, you can't give Braun 60some odd games and then tell Arod he's gotta sit for a year and a half.

MLB is wanting players to accept a "deal". They have been burned in the past when something on appeal went to an arbitrator (Braun's positive urine appeal).

Unless Peralta "deals" with MLB, odds are no suspension will occur this year.

Back