Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Biogenesis ready to tell MLB on players Arod, Braun, suspensions coming Updated

This wasn't a call about a new pair of jeans. This was about illegal drugs. There is a difference and a big difference.

Did you ever think that Peralta was not aware of any illegal drugs if/when he made that initial call to Biogenesis?

It's possible he turned down their product offers after investigating it himself.

just saw that 12 more players may be suspended that haven't been named yet

Did you ever think that Peralta was not aware of any illegal drugs if/when he made that initial call to Biogenesis?

It's possible he turned down their product offers after investigating it himself.

I'm curious why he'd call then. It was obvious he was looking for something that he couldn't get from a his doctor or a local pharmacy?

It just seems shady.

I'm curious why he'd call then. It was obvious he was looking for something that he couldn't get from a his doctor or a local pharmacy?

It just seems shady.

That's because it is shady. And there is no way on god's green earth that he would accept a suspension if he was clean in this. No one is going to let themselves be labeled a cheater if they didn't actually cheat. He (nor anyone else) would never say I didn't take any PED's, but I'll just go ahead and accept this 50 game suspension for my world series contender team just to get it over with.

Last edited:
That's because it is shady. And there is no way on god's green earth that he would accept a suspension if he was clean in this. No one is going to let themselves be labeled a cheater if they didn't actually cheat. He (nor anyone else) would never say I didn't take any PED's, but I'll just go ahead and accept this 50 game suspension for my world series contender team just to get it over with.

I agree but some claim he won't accept anything or we don't know, yet. But if he gets suspended and in all likelihood he will, he's guilty like the rest. No different than Braun, IMO.

Last edited:

this has been explained. He can fight a suspension, but it will likely cost him several million dollars. It's a contract year for Jhonny, he might not be willing to take the chance he loses on appeal and is suspended for 100 games which would effectively kill his next contract.

Now some people on this board (I'm talking about you Mitch) like to say how these guys are rich and have money etc. But many of the latin players also support large extended families with their earnings because many live in poverty without it.

So yes, even if he is 100% innocent, he may accept a suspension to put the matter behind him so he can hit the FA market running.

this has been explained. He can fight a suspension, but it will likely cost him several million dollars. It's a contract year for Jhonny, he might not be willing to take the chance he loses on appeal and is suspended for 100 games which would effectively kill his next contract.

Now some people on this board (I'm talking about you Mitch) like to say how these guys are rich and have money etc. But many of the latin players also support large extended families with their earnings because many live in poverty without it.

So yes, even if he is 100% innocent, he may accept a suspension to put the matter behind him so he can hit the FA market running.

But who does that? And don't say he's going to get some mega deal, after being suspended in 2013. It won't happen, and he'd risk losing a chance to compete for a title. So if he is innocent I see no reason for him to agree on a suspension that himself doesn't think he deserves.

You could say the same about all of them. I didn't see Braun admitting anything. He apologized and missed 65 meaningless games.

Is Peralta going to say "I took this suspension because its best for me but I didn't do it?" "I need to make sure I get paid in 2014".

None of this seems fishy to you, thumb?

I understood your explanation the first time. I just absolutely do not agree with it. I don't believe for one second that a player would just accept a suspension if he did absolutely nothing just because he's a free agent next year. Every time a player is accused of PED's they fight it tooth and nail because no one wants to be labeled a cheater. Now all of the sudden everyone is fine with these suspensions and they're not going to appeal even though they're innocent. After this year Peralta has made about 28 million. He could never play again and afford to feed his family in the Dominican Republic.

Where there's smoke, there's fire. Which seems like the more likely scenario? These guys are guilty of the accusations and MLB has the proof, or they are innocent and they are willing to accept huge suspensions and be labeled cheaters anyways. Peralta is pretty much coming off of his worst statistical year last year. It may all be circumstantial evidence but it certainly seems to add up to guys who are guilty. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not holding my breath. I just don't think MLB would be willing to go forward with this without a damn good case. And I certainly don't think the player's union would accept any of these suspensions if the evidence was weak.

Last edited:
I think if MLB suspends him for his involvement with this Biogenisis they have enough on him that he is actually guilty.

Agreed, if they are going to suspend someone they wouldnt be able to without proof. I dont like it but i think they are all guilty.

I understood your explanation the first time. I just absolutely do not agree with it. I don't believe for one second that a player would just accept a suspension if he did absolutely nothing just because he's a free agent next year. Every time a player is accused of PED's they fight it tooth and nail because no one wants to be labeled a cheater. Now all of the sudden everyone is fine with these suspensions and they're not going to appeal even though they're innocent. After this year Peralta has made about 28 million. He could never play again and afford to feed his family in the Dominican Republic.

Where there's smoke, there's fire. Which seems like the more likely scenario? These guys are guilty of the accusations and MLB has the proof, or they are innocent and they are willing to accept huge suspensions and be labeled cheaters anyways. Peralta is pretty much coming off of his worst statistical year last year. It may all be circumstantial evidence but it certainly seems to add up to guys who are guilty. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not holding my breath. I just don't think MLB would be willing to go forward with this without a damn good case. And I certainly don't think the player's union would accept any of these suspensions if the evidence was weak.

Well I think you're looking at it from the perspective of an American. And American would worry more about his legacy, image etc. many of the latino players play for the main reason that it's a way to escape poverty. I'm also pretty sure that Peralta has probably spent a large portion of that $28M you think he's set for life on. After all, baseball players don't really care about money, if they have made a little already, that's why FA contracts are so reasonable these days right?

Also it's not everybody who's innocent, and I'm not even saying Peralta (and Montero) are, just that it is possible they would accept a deal for a minimal suspension, rather than fight it out and risk a larger one.

We'll just agree to disagree on this I guess.

Well I think you're looking at it from the perspective of an American. And American would worry more about his legacy, image etc. many of the latino players play for the main reason that it's a way to escape poverty. I'm also pretty sure that Peralta has probably spent a large portion of that $28M you think he's set for life on. After all, baseball players don't really care about money, if they have made a little already, that's why FA contracts are so reasonable these days right?

Also it's not everybody who's innocent, and I'm not even saying Peralta (and Montero) are, just that it is possible they would accept a deal for a minimal suspension, rather than fight it out and risk a larger one.

As an American.....I would worry more about my bank accounts than any legacy! I would be first in line to take PEDs if I thougt I could make more money and get away with it.

And miss the chance at a title? He would rather admit something he didn't do and miss a playoff opportunity for a chance to start FA on the right track? A deal that might be small considering he's coming off a suspension. Makes no sense.

And miss the chance at a title? He would rather admit something he didn't do and miss a playoff opportunity for a chance to start FA on the right track? A deal that might be small considering he's coming off a suspension. Makes no sense.

I think JP can still be a $5-$7M a year player on a 2-3 year contract.

It just seems shady.

Maybe he never called them. Someone else may have referred Jhonny.
Also, what Jhonny may have been seeking is a legal product.

Maybe he never called them. Someone else may have referred Jhonny.
Also, what Jhonny may have been seeking is a legal product.

my guess is that if Jhonny was looking into a legal product he would have looked somewhere close to where he lives...not some shady clinic in Miami

my guess is that if Jhonny was looking into a legal product he would have looked somewhere close to where he lives...not some shady clinic in Miami

True.

Also Tom, if he does get suspended, there will be many teams who think his solid year might have been ped use. No doubt he will get an offer but I'm thinking a 1 year deal maybe worth 3.2m a year.

Back