Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU Football recruiting

I love the talent added, but our worst position group(BY FAR!!) is the secondary and we did nothing to adress it. I'm floored

Well, here's another surprise, former 4 star RB Jaren Mangham is transferring to MSU. Played 2 seasons at Colorado and South Florida, was also injured for 2 other seasons. Good short yardage back with 23 career TDs. We really needed a short yardage guy behind Berger and the other RB transfer from UConn.

He's coming in as a PWO. Not taking a scholarship, pretty cool.

Last edited:
I love the talent added, but our worst position group(BY FAR!!) is the secondary and we did nothing to adress it. I'm floored

Patience. Chance Rucker and Eddie Pleasant are both good adds. S from Texas Tech Reggie Pearson is announcing his transfer destination tomorrow. Had 60 tackles last year and is good in pass coverage, will be a nice replacement for Brooks who is leaving. He's from Detroit and MSU has the inside track.

I think the secondary is the weak spot, but they had a huge class last year they're really high on and Spencer, Mangham, and Tatum all played as true freshmen and flashed at times.

We still are looking to add a starting CB, and have a couple targets.

Last edited:
Tunmise Adeleye to MSU. Haven't had a kid as talented as him on the D Line since Malik McDowell. Tunmise was the top DL and #7 overall player in the portal

Last edited:
So that's probably all the action for today.
Signed all 15 high school recruits. Landed 3 transfer DTs, including the best one in the portal. 3 Portal TEs, CB, 2 RBs, a K, and a LB, some on scholarship, some walk ons.

Next is:
Texas Tech Safety Reggie Pearson announcing his transfer destination tomorrow. MSU is thought to lead, but not really sure, probably 60-40 us vs Oklahoma.

Staff met with 5 star OT transfer Kyaunta Goodwin this weekend. Louisville was thought to be the next stop for him, but there is some chatter for MSU now. He played as a true freshman at Kentucky, but had problems with his weight. I'd say we have a 20% shot at him.

Still in on an elite FCS all American CB, but the competition is stiff with several elite programs after him.

Still will look to add a high school OT and Safety. Name to keep an eye on is OT Joe Crocker, decommitt from Mississippi State.

All in all, an A+ day for MSU recruiting.

Tucker just confirmed OG JD Duplain, C Nick Samac, and DE Kris Bogle are returning for their senior years next season as expected..

Everyone should temper their expectations. It?s nice to have a solid class but it will take time for them to contribute. We?re coming off a top 25 class that clearly had zero impact in this disaster of a season and its also not clear that class will be changing much in the year to come. It?s going to take time and without a Kenneth Walker type player it could be ugly again next season. We?re going to have an at-best average running game and QB and very likely weak defensive secondary.

Everyone should temper their expectations. It?s nice to have a solid class but it will take time for them to contribute. We?re coming off a top 25 class that clearly had zero impact in this disaster of a season and its also not clear that class will be changing much in the year to come. It?s going to take time and without a Kenneth Walker type player it could be ugly again next season. We?re going to have an at-best average running game and QB and very likely weak defensive secondary.

Find a way to get to 7 or 8 wins and the rebuild is back on track.

Sounds like we're adding grad transfer safety Reggie Pearson today, that's a huge deal as he's much better in pass coverage than X or Brooks were last season. Developing the young secondary is the key to the season IMO. Have to show some growth there or maybe the scheme needs to go.

Find a way to get to 7 or 8 wins and the rebuild is back on track.

Sounds like we're adding grad transfer safety Reggie Pearson today, that's a huge deal as he's much better in pass coverage than X or Brooks were last season. Developing the young secondary is the key to the season IMO. Have to show some growth there or maybe the scheme needs to go.

Wrong again, he's going to Oklahoma. But I'm sure those "insiders" made a few bucks over at red cedar

Wrong again, he's going to Oklahoma. But I'm sure those "insiders" made a few bucks over at red cedar

Ha, it was Tucker who talked yesterday that they expected a ?safety? to come home tomorrow. He was referring to Pearson, but Oklahoma made a late push and swiped him. Oklahoma also made a big move today and flipped that 5 star safety from Oregon who had flipped from ND just yesterday. Dropped a bag and he signed with them today. Crazy.

Outside of maybe wide receiver, there isn?t a position group that came close to living up to whatever expectations were for them this year. Not one - even the defensive line was a disappointment. If this staff can?t bring these players along, all this recruiting hype will amount to a hill of beans. So far, there?s little evidence they have any ability to develop kids. That?s a big problem.

Last edited:
Id rather see them bring in larger high school classes than these huge transfer classes. Really only Walker and Windmon have had an impact. That's a pretty poor success rate for transfers. Too many holes in this team to patch, time to start building.

The one positive I see is it does look as though Tucker is really building the o and d lines. Really brought in some big and highly ranked offensive lineman.

Id rather see them bring in larger high school classes than these huge transfer classes. Really only Walker and Windmon have had an impact. That's a pretty poor success rate for transfers. Too many holes in this team to patch, time to start building.

The one positive I see is it does look as though Tucker is really building the o and d lines. Really brought in some big and highly ranked offensive lineman.

Reed was also a transfer but your point is valid - there's not enough resources in the portal to fix this team. Patch what holes you can but concentrate on building something sustainable with a primary focus on high school recruiting. And whether they bring in more transfers or not, they need to demonstrate an ability to develop kids or Tucker needs to start making coaching changes.

Reed was also a transfer but your point is valid - there's not enough resources in the portal to fix this team. Patch what holes you can but concentrate on building something sustainable with a primary focus on high school recruiting. And whether they bring in more transfers or not, they need to demonstrate an ability to develop kids or Tucker needs to start making coaching changes.

Reed was a traditional transfer that had to sit out a year. He was also a transfer before Mel. That's why i didn't include him

Elijah Collins is transferring. Probably not a huge loss - he was probably looking at being the #2 option behind a pretty average Jalen Berger as the best case scenario for next year.

Edit: Windmon and Brule both announced they're coming back.

Last edited:
This one?s a few days old but Pietrowski has entered the portal and committed to Wisconsin.

Last edited:
5 Star 2024 DT David Stone is back at MSU this weekend for the 3rd time, 2nd time this month. He let slip that he had planned to commit to MSU, but then Coleman left, he was back since once, probably was told we were hiring Diron Reynolds, and now is coming back with his family to meet Reynolds on campus. Trained by Coach Jordan in the past, he's originally from Oklahoma, but plays for IMG in Florida.

It's an Oklahoma/MSU battle. He's looking to wrap up his recruitment this Spring or early Summer. He's the #9 overall recruit in the 2024 class. Obviously would be insane to get an outstate 5 star top 10 player, but we probably legit lead for him right now, long way to go though.

2023 DE Bai Jobe stood out as a stud at his All American game. Seeing nice ratings bump, now #62 in the composite, 247 says he's getting a bump on their rankings too, so he's a potential top 50 overal composite player who's already on campus. Measured out at 6-3, 225lbs, so he still has weight to add, but he's going to see the field this Fall.

Tucker using the portal to turn things around - picks up a kid with osu level talent. Former Buckeye Michael O'Shaughnessy is a Spartan (he was their backup punter). Probably came here because he knows he'll see the field a lot more.

"Ohio State is a great program and I've enjoyed my time here, but that offense scores touchdowns like crazy. I wanted to be somewhere that I could showcase my talents and nobody punts more than the Spartans, amiright? Can't wait to get to East Lansing."

- Michael O'Shaughnessy (probably)

Last edited:
Back