Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU pres. Resigns

"It happens everywhere..."

https://michiganstate.247sports.com...dling-of-sexual-assault-allegations-114331641

Here is Izzo talking to reporters last night. Doesn't remember why a guy that was living with him left to go to Europe...

You're quote of "it happens everywhere," who said that? Izzo didn't say it in the video clip you provided, but given the rest of your post, you make it seem like it's attributed to him.

As for the press conference, you obviously know that he's navigating a verbal minefield, one slip up and he could be fired. Izzo is a guy that usually shoots from the hip, less of a filter than MD or others. He's being coached to not say anything. I think it's bs but he's being coached not to be honest. He did say that these things will be addressed in the future, just not at this time. I hope that's very soon.

Democracy Now! covered this scandal this morning - the Nassar part of it, not the ESPN allegations regarding football and basketball - and mentioned Bill Schuette's new investigation and comments

I missed the intro to it because I had to drop my kids off, but when I got back in the car, I heard the end of a long comment from who I assume is Bill Schuette about how given the way MSU & their BOT bungled this whole investigation, he would NOT be following their advice, findings, or protocol when he conducted his own investigation.

Ouch.

Democracy Now also included background on the whole thing and interviewed the lead reporter from the Indianapolis Star, who's story received credit for breaking everything open. turns out their original story had nothing to do with this, and was about an unrelated lawsuit in Georgia, which alleged abuse by US gymnastics coaches.

after reading that article, Rachel Denhollander reached out to the Star to tell her own, and then dozens of Nassar's victims came forward.

On Nassar, the big mistake looking back is the title 9 investigation. They investigated claims that Nassar touched a gymnast inappropriately, they consulted doctors and came to the conclusion that the procedure was medically necessary. It is now coming out that the doctors they consulted all had some kind of association with Nassar, they either worked with him, studied under him, or had some sort of association. It's not know whether the doctors who were consulted knew that Nassar was the person under investigation though, that's going to be crucial.

I don't think that MSU conducted the investigation with the intention of allowing a serial child molester to continue to operate. They're obviously concerned about risk and avoiding a situation like this that will affect reputation and hurt the university financially, along with simply not allowing molestation to occur. That title 9 report failed miserably in hindsight, but I think it's a bridge too far to say there was willful intent to look the other way.

You're quote of "it happens everywhere," who said that? Izzo didn't say it in the video clip you provided, but given the rest of your post, you make it seem like it's attributed to him.

As for the press conference, you obviously know that he's navigating a verbal minefield, one slip up and he could be fired. Izzo is a guy that usually shoots from the hip, less of a filter than MD or others. He's being coached to not say anything. I think it's bs but he's being coached not to be honest. He did say that these things will be addressed in the future, just not at this time. I hope that's very soon.

he's not "navigating a verbal minefield." he already fucked up once. is he really too stupid to have a canned PR response ready now? he should know it's going to keep happening, now that he gave the press reason to come after him. it's like putting a "kick me" sign on. "Interview me. I say stupid things and can't help it."

he's not "navigating a verbal minefield." he already fucked up once. is he really too stupid to have a canned PR response ready now? he should know it's going to keep happening, now that he gave the press reason to come after him. it's like putting a "kick me" sign on. "Interview me. I say stupid things and can't help it."

He has a response, he has been giving it over and over again, but the reporters keep asking the same questions. He's in an unwinnable situation, if you talk, you put yourself at risk and go against what your lawyers say, if you stay silent or just issue a statement, everyone gets the pitchforks out.

Izzo has always been loose verbally, he mis speaks a lot, mixes up references to players, uses the wrong words. You can tell MD pauses and thinks before he speaks, Izzo speaks and thinks later. He's not an elected official though, he's a basketball coach, you rarely have to be in this situation and it's not one that he's suited for.

No, I'm attributing the "it happens everywhere..." quote to you. It is underlying in your comments here and a lot of other Spartans are saying this thing, as well. It's not a direct quote, but when you go around saying things like, "I think we'd find bad things everywhere, the spotlight is just on MSU right now," that is saying, "it happens everywhere..."

No, Izzo did not say it.

I wonder about Allen and Lucious transferring mysteriously to Iowa State. Their names have come up now. I wonder if that is along this Walton timeline somewhere.

No, I'm attributing the "it happens everywhere..." quote to you. It is underlying in your comments here and a lot of other Spartans are saying this thing, as well. It's not a direct quote, but when you go around saying things like, "I think we'd find bad things everywhere, the spotlight is just on MSU right now," that is saying, "it happens everywhere..."

No, Izzo did not say it.

Well it is a fact that sexual assault happens on every campus and it's a problem, for sure more with entitled athletes. I know you'd like to think that it only happens at MSU because you don't like their sports teams, but that's simply not the case.

I wonder about Allen and Lucious transferring mysteriously to Iowa State. Their names have come up now. I wonder if that is along this Walton timeline somewhere.

If that is anything other than them double counting Payne-Appling, then it would probably be those 2. They were booted from the team mid-season, then re-surfaced at ISU later on (as seemingly most transfers did at the time). Violation of team rules was the reason then and I think I had seen stuff back then that they were smoking pot or something.

But yes it is around that timeline.

That's a possibility, they were both dismissed from the program, but at different times. Allen was trying to work his way back over the summer, then let go, Lucious was dismissed the day before we played UM in EL.

The popular explanation among MSU fans was that they smoked a lot of pot, hardly a big deal really, but that's what we thought. Izzo was interviewed after Lucious was dismissed, he said something along the lines of "when you cut ties with a player, it's never the first or second thing they've done, they've usually wasted a number of chances"

that's pure speculation on them being involved, but it's plausible. honestly, it would be a gift to Izzo if it was them. We can show that although no charges were filed, they were kicked off the team.

Last edited:
If that is anything other than them double counting Payne-Appling, then it would probably be those 2. They were booted from the team mid-season, then re-surfaced at ISU later on (as seemingly most transfers did at the time). Violation of team rules was the reason then and I think I had seen stuff back then that they were smoking pot or something.

But yes it is around that timeline.

Oh, that's right. Thanks. Now i remember the weed thing. I had forgotten about that. Maybe that is all there was with them. I'd hate to put them in this situation if they weren't the ones involved.

I do agree with Sbee that this Walton situation seems very mysterious. I don't agree necessarily that the alleged assault is all it's cracked up to be. How does one get a littering charge from an alleged assault on a woman(non-sexual?) Then there is the interview with Walton,(was this back at the time or recent?) where he states that he didn't hit her, because if he had hit her, she'd be more messed up than she was. What a great thing to say when being accused of beating a woman. Littering?

Well it is a fact that sexual assault happens on every campus and it's a problem, for sure more with entitled athletes. I know you'd like to think that it only happens at MSU because you don't like their sports teams, but that's simply not the case.

No, I wouldn't like to think it only happens at MSU. I do have some experience with MSU, though. i attended there and even back then, was told stories of the "rape trails."

it probably does happen everywhere, but after a situation like this, you probably shouldn't say these things. It just sounds like you're trying to belittle the situation and deflect.

No, I wouldn't like to think it only happens at MSU. I do have some experience with MSU, though. i attended there and even back then, was told stories of the "rape trails."

it probably does happen everywhere, but after a situation like this, you probably shouldn't say these things. It just sounds like you're trying to belittle the situation and deflect.

Not at all, this goes way beyond sports and fandom, although these programs mean a lot to me, I'm trying to be as objective as possible because this is real life.

I know athletes who played football and basketball at D1 schools, group sex was a common thing. If it's between consenting adults, that's ok I guess if everyone consents, but I think it often leads to these kind of situations. I am not trying to belittle the situation, I am dismissing the Appling and Payne thing because I consider the Prosecutors office to be an authority and since they cleared the players, I stand along with that. But overall, one instance of a sexual assault is too many and even though these situations don't result in charges, they are unfortunate and people walk away scarred from them.

Oh, that's right. Thanks. Now i remember the weed thing. I had forgotten about that. Maybe that is all there was with them. I'd hate to put them in this situation if they weren't the ones involved.

I do agree with Sbee that this Walton situation seems very mysterious. I don't agree necessarily that the alleged assault is all it's cracked up to be. How does one get a littering charge from an alleged assault on a woman(non-sexual?) Then there is the interview with Walton,(was this back at the time or recent?) where he states that he didn't hit her, because if he had hit her, she'd be more messed up than she was. What a great thing to say when being accused of beating a woman. Littering?

The weed thing was speculation, but Chris Allen did say that's why he was kicked off the team on facebook years ago. There could be more to it but that's pure speculation.

I'm reading from another site that this incident was brought to the athletic department in August of 2011, trying to find a link or real info, could be BS possibly. If that's the case though, it does make sense that Izzo would say that he didn't know why Walton left, considering he left before the accusation was made.

The weed thing was speculation, but Chris Allen did say that's why he was kicked off the team on facebook years ago. There could be more to it but that's pure speculation.

I'm reading from another site that this incident was brought to the athletic department in August of 2011, trying to find a link or real info, could be BS possibly. If that's the case though, it does make sense that Izzo would say that he didn't know why Walton left, considering he left before the accusation was made.

apparently in the OTL report, they show a physical copy of a letter to MSU about the Walton assault, it was dated August 2011, after Walton left. If that is in fact the case, it would make sense for Izzo to say that he didn't know why he left.

There is one report saying that Walton was fired, but that's not confirmed. It could have been a mutual decision to part ways.

apparently in the OTL report, they show a physical copy of a letter to MSU about the Walton assault, it was dated August 2011, after Walton left. If that is in fact the case, it would make sense for Izzo to say that he didn't know why he left.

There is one report saying that Walton was fired, but that's not confirmed. It could have been a mutual decision to part ways.

That makes it sound like Walton knew some report might be coming and decided to get the heck out of town.

I think most of us recognize that there are a lot of people that can't help react with varying degrees of fan-bias in this situation where we wish everyone was better than that. Even the RCMB has a stickied post asking people not to judge them by the jackasses that pop out of the woodwork to voice their stupidity.

One thing I've only recently discovered that I am trying to make my way through is the report commissioned by the Paternos, which, I know, is bound to be biased, but I suspect there are nuggets of wisdom in there. I read a claim that it has guidance that applies generally to how we should should keep on the lookout for warning signs and how we react poorly to "nice-guy" predators.

http://www.paterno.com/Resources/Docs/CLEMENTE_FINAL_REPORT_2-7-2013.pdf

I'm not that far into it, but the 1st nugget I've run across is that it's actually harmful to survivors to carry on about how these monsters "have ruined the lives of so many victims". The victims really don't need society blasting them with the message that their lives are ruined.

On Nassar, the big mistake looking back is the title 9 investigation. They investigated claims that Nassar touched a gymnast inappropriately, they consulted doctors and came to the conclusion that the procedure was medically necessary. It is now coming out that the doctors they consulted all had some kind of association with Nassar, they either worked with him, studied under him, or had some sort of association. It's not know whether the doctors who were consulted knew that Nassar was the person under investigation though, that's going to be crucial.

I haven't read the title IX report, but I'm not sure they were asked if specific cases were necessary or if Nassar was following procedure. At least one description I've heard suggests they were only asked if the procedure is medically legit.

Last edited:
I think most of us recognize that there are a lot of people that can't help react with varying degrees of fan-bias in this situation where we wish everyone was better than that. Even the RCMB has a stickied post asking people not to judge them by the jackasses that pop out of the woodwork to voice their stupidity.

One thing I've only recently discovered that I am trying to make my way through is the report commissioned by the Paternos, which, I know, is bound to be biased, but I suspect there are nuggets of wisdom in there. I read a claim that it has guidance that applies generally to how we should should keep on the lookout for warning signs and how we react poorly to "nice-guy" predators.

http://www.paterno.com/Resources/Docs/CLEMENTE_FINAL_REPORT_2-7-2013.pdf

I'm not that far into it, but the 1st nugget I've run across is that it's actually harmful to survivors to carry on about how these monsters "have ruined the lives of so many victims". The victims really don't need society blasting them with the message that their lives are ruined.

It would be great to let them heal on their own and only discuss it if a survivor speaks about it, but unfortunately that doesn't generate clicks.

I haven't read the title IX report, but I'm not sure they were asked if specific cases were necessary or if Nassar was following procedure. At least one description I've heard suggests they were only asked if the procedure is medically legit.

What I have read is that doctors (albeit with ties to Nassar) corroborated the claim that the procedure was legitimate and necessary. They advised him to always have another doctor in the room if he was going to do it, a stipulation that was ignored by Nassar and not followed up on by MSU. That's a major failure there.

Walton was Izzo's assistant coach, grad asst, or whatever AND Walton lived with Izzo. A guy like that doesn't leave without telling his coach why.

Back