Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Official 2019 Draft

Bet we miss out on Greedy, Murphy, and possibly Rock Ya-Sin. Always seems like corners fly off the board early in round 2

I heard that Arizona has already said that they are taking Murphy with the first pick of the second round.

What the hell is Arizona thinking? No, reason to announce it. Every year teams trade up to that spot. They could have still got Murphy and extra picks.

I used to have that.. A few tears ago I lost it somehow.

Last time I thought the Lions may be unstoppable was when they could do a 3 WR set with Roy Williams, Mike Williams, and Charles Rogers

I mean you can't double team all three of those beast. You will have to go 1 on 1, and if you drop too many to zone, Kevin Jones will run all over you.

Last time I thought the Lions may be unstoppable was when they could do a 3 WR set with Roy Williams, Mike Williams, and Charles Rogers

I mean you can't double team all three of those beast. You will have to go 1 on 1, and if you drop too many to zone, Kevin Jones will run all over you.

We all that the same dude, and anyone who says we didn't is full of shit.

Also, just a few years later, I was pissed when we took another 1st round WR... guy named Calvin.

Reason #213 you don't take a TE in the first round. More often than not it's a position that doesn't see immediate impact (Olson, Ebron, etc). Is this really a team that can just wait around for a 1st round pick to develop?

Develop? This kid is a 3-down player. He's not coming off the field unless he struggles.

I don't believe he's a complete player. If he is he becomes Gronk. I don't see it.

Hockenson isn't a complete player?? Devastating run/pass blocker, runs good routes, gets open, athletic and CATCHES everything. He's the poster boy of TE's actually lol.
Will he be the next Gronk?? Lol. Cmon! I see him more as the Jason Witten type but a better athlete. If we're comparing and I guess we are...lol

Hockenson isn't a complete player?? Devastating run/pass blocker, runs good routes, gets open, athletic and CATCHES everything. He's the poster boy of TE's actually lol.
Will he be the next Gronk?? Lol. Cmon! I see him more as the Jason Witten type but a better athlete. If we're comparing and I guess we are...lol

We all have different opinions. Plus an inaccurate passer bad pick. Yes I know you think Matt is the bees knees but just awful pick.

Only two tight ends in history were drafted as high or higher than Hockenson.
Veron Davis and Kellen Winson II both were taken #6 overall.

Hockenson is a good player...im really not trying to bash him.
James isnt this incredible playmaker by any means so it upgraded that position.
#8 was a little high for him imo and i thought the opportunity to gain picks was more important. With the guys still on the board i wasnt overly excited about any of them:
Bush would have filled a need. I saw him as a high rd 2 guy for most of the draft process.
Oliver would have been an upgrade over Ashawn as DE.
Jonah Williams would have filled a starting RG spot.

So with so many holes i guess im just disappointed we didnt move back and grab more picks if the rumors out there were true we had offers.

What compounded my disappointment was the fact JAX took Allen.

I think this is worth echoing. I'm not down on Hockenson the player, I'm down on Hockenson the pick. I fully expect him to become a contributor and make some Pro Bowls. I just think Oliver could've made such a bigger impact out of the gate. Hopefully this is where Quinn proves why he is where he is. I very much want to look back on this similiar to when I wanted Aaron Curry (lol).

Develop? This kid is a 3-down player. He's not coming off the field unless he struggles.

I guess we look at that word 'develop' differently. Ragnow was on the field every down last year and I'd argue that he developed over the season. T.J. plays in a position where generally players don't reach their peak until later on. When I say develop, I'm not saying he won't be used in year 1.

Could T.J. buck the trend? Of course. I haven't read a bad thing about him in the last 2 years. Maybe he'll follow in fellow Iowa alum George Kittle and be an absolute monster by year 2.

Another thing I hope people take into account, I'm going to have to remind myself as well, is to look at more than just his receiving statistics. He's legit supposed to be a huge boon for Kerryon and the run game. People keep bringing up Gronk and frankly I'm sick of that comparison. Gronk was a good chip blocker but Hockenson is a mauler. Gronk was extremely handsy, while Hockenson is really good at separating in more subtle ways. Gronk would get called for offensive PI a record amount if he played like that here.

Last edited:
Hockenson is a good player...im really not trying to bash him.
James isnt this incredible playmaker by any means so it upgraded that position.
#8 was a little high for him imo and i thought the opportunity to gain picks was more important. With the guys still on the board i wasnt overly excited about any of them:
Bush would have filled a need. I saw him as a high rd 2 guy for most of the draft process.
Oliver would have been an upgrade over Ashawn as DE.
Jonah Williams would have filled a starting RG spot.

So with so many holes i guess im just disappointed we didnt move back and grab more picks if the rumors out there were true we had offers.

What compounded my disappointment was the fact JAX took Allen.

Have to have somebody that wants to trade up for us to be able to trade down

Do we know the status on how much 3-4 vs 4-3 we expect to run this year? I really like Oliver also, but I think we need to be a 4-3 team to get the most out of him. With just one gap to cover, it's nearly impossible to keep him from collapsing the pocket. But covering two at a time will limit his explosiveness off the line as he has to make more reads and react to a developing backfield. He'll probably be fine anywhere, but great in a 4-3. So if that's not where our defense is headed, it may not be as big a deal as some think that we passed on him.

If Hockenson becomes Gronk 2.0, no one's going to care who went after him. If he paves the way for Kerryon to have a huge season (and finally a balanced offense), it'll be a huge success. If he simply becomes a reliable red zone threat, the offense won't be such a crapshoot. Cooter is gone. We don't have to presume the TE position is worthless still.

Do we know the status on how much 3-4 vs 4-3 we expect to run this year? I really like Oliver also, but I think we need to be a 4-3 team to get the most out of him. With just one gap to cover, it's nearly impossible to keep him from collapsing the pocket. But covering two at a time will limit his explosiveness off the line as he has to make more reads and react to a developing backfield. He'll probably be fine anywhere, but great in a 4-3. So if that's not where our defense is headed, it may not be as big a deal as some think that we passed on him.

Most common projection I've seen for Oliver is a DE in the 3-4. He is a top tier 3 technique guy. Will be paired with a NT in the 3-4 or 4-3. He's the kind of guy where your defensive scheme is almost irrelevant.

Last edited:
Quinn said himself that he had multiple offers.

True but that does not mean there were any offers worth taking.

I would have preferred defense but the front office was in love with him.

I do like the thought of him and James on the field. two solid blocking TE's with good hands.

If they load the box we can have 1 on 1 on the outside and I like our receivers chances

Looking over some 2nd round mocks before I take my son to soccer practice, here were the players I saw mocked to Detroit:

Justin Layne - CB - Michigan State
Nasir Adderlay - S - Delaware
Hakeem Butler - WR - Iowa State
Khalen Saunders - DT - Western Illinois
David Long - CB - Michigan

Players consistently (and unsuprisingly in most cases) mocked to be off the board before the Lions pick:

Greedy Williams - CB - LSU
Byron Murphy - CB - Washington
Cody Ford - RT - Oklahoma
Jawaan Taylor - OL - Florida
A.J. Brown - WR - Ole Miss

Parris Campbell and D.K. Metcalk are being mocked in the 2nd half of round 2.

Last edited:
Back