Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Quinn in as GM

Hay guys!....were 1st class!

Bill Belichick spoke with New England reporters about new Lions GM Bob Quinn today and called him "one of the foundation blocks" of what the Patriots have built. Belichick also called the Lions a "first-class operation." Belichick said he spoke with Lions adviser Ernie Accorsi a couple of times during the hiring process.

I like the fact he is meeting with Caldwell to discuss future. If it takes a couple of days then so be it. This tells me two things, one is that he is in charge, and two he is being thorough, which means he already has a plan in place and is going to gage if that lines up with it. Very smart, I'm impressed.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Josh Katzenstein: FWIW: Lions want today to be coronation of GM Bob Quinn. For that reason alone, announcement on Jim Caldwell today would be a surprise.

https://twitter.com/jkatzenstein/status/686596978000707584

For fucks sake, this is annoying. First it was the past weekend, then today, now who knows.

Theres right ways to announce it today. Especially when its the only thing fans really want to know. You think the fans will watch to see you say hi?

I like the fact he is meeting with Caldwell to discuss future. If it takes a couple of days then so be it. This tells me two things, one is that he is in charge, and two he is being thorough, which means he already has a plan in place and is going to gage if that lines up with it. Very smart, I'm impressed.

3rd, other coaches are going to be gone when he fires Caldwell. Which means he won't be. Which means he's not smart but a dumb ass.

3rd, other coaches are going to be gone when he fires Caldwell. Which means he won't be. Which means he's not smart but a dumb ass.

Torn on this......I like the fact the Lions took a little time to decide on a GM. Like Jdeb said....it seems to indicate they took their time and didn't just "shoot from the hip" on the hire. A good GM is probably the 2nd most important person in terms of on field W's and L's (quarterback is #1....IMO).

I hate the fact that in the process taking the time it did......we have this cloud of WTF is going on with the coaching staff. Do we keep Caldwell? If not, who is out there? What about Cooter?? He's not under contract so does he fly to Miami to take job security? Austin?? Is he going to get a HC job or is he back for a 3rd year? Does Quinn consider Austin a candidate for THIS job?

Lots of questions now that Quinn is in place (not including all the personnel decisions he has to make......AND Calvin's decision) and very few answers so far.

Maybe I'm just being impatient......but it seems the quicker we make these decisions.....the sooner the organization can get on track to what looks to be a VERY promising 2016.

I just don't want to see them take their time and then fire him, leading to a delayed interview process and potentially smaller pool of candidates. If they intend on keeping him, there's no reason not to announce this, if they intend to fire him, better now rather than later so they can get on with the search. Either way, a decision right now is necessary.

Maybe but really, look what coach's are out there. Other than Coughlin, Caldwell is probably as good as the others, if not better. Besides, this team does not have enough talent to win a Super Bowl next year. Quinn would have to knock it out of the park on draft day and free agency. Vikings and Packers are a lot closer to a Super Bowl than the Lions. Gase (gone) won't do anything is my guess. Austin better hope he gets a good team. Coughlin would be a great choice but my guess is he follows Abrams. Keep Caldwell is probably going to be it.

Last edited:
Maybe but really, look what coach's are out there. Other than Coughlin, Caldwell is probably as good as the others, if not better. Besides, this team does not have enough talent to win a Super Bowl next year. Quinn would have to knock it out of the park on draft day and free agency. Vikings and Packers are a lot closer to a Super Bowl than the Lions. Gase (gone) won't do anything is my guess. Austin better hope he gets a good team. Coughlin would be a great choice but my guess is he follows Abrams. Keep Caldwell is probably going to be it.

Not sure what Caldwell has to do with him getting fired, if that is the decision. If there is a small pool better than a few day's from now it'll be smaller.

But, IMO, the pool is bigger. There are several HC candidates I'd take.

Last edited:
27 minutes until the press conference!

You would have to think that if Caldwell were in fact being fired, it would have leaked out by now.

Haven't seen a rumor anywhere with 30 minutes to go.

You would have to think that if Caldwell were in fact being fired, it would have leaked out by now.

Haven't seen a rumor anywhere with 30 minutes to go.

My thought as well. Where is the press conference, anywhere online?

Back