Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Should we have a Kickoff Countdown?

Should we have a Kickoff Countdown?

• YES, and it's already less than 100 days til kickoff, FUCK!

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • YES, how else will I know when the season starts?

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • NO, I'm an MSU fan and I don't want to be reminded of my crappy team

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO, I've been infected with "Woke Mind Virus" and don't care about football anymore

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
garrettrivas2.jpg

38 days.

Garrett Rivas, PK 2004-2006 #2 Career FGs made with 64.

Last edited:
$_12.JPG

36 days.

Mike Lantry, K, 1971-1974. Vietnam Combat Veteran, Married and Father of One before he played at Michigan. From walk-on in 1971 to First Team All-American in 1973.

A worthy read.

EDIT: And for those who have not seen the documentary "Tiebreaker" ... the question remains: "Why not?"

Last edited:
$_12.JPG

36 days.

Mike Lantry, K, 1971-1974. Vietnam Combat Veteran, Married and Father of One before he played at Michigan. From walk-on in 1971 to First Team All-American in 1973.

A worthy read.

EDIT: And for those who have not seen the documentary "Tiebreaker" ... the question remains: "Why not?"

That is a good read, but I'm curious what happened to him after college. The article kinda ends with his missed kick against OSU. Sounds like he founded a company that still exists. I can't find out if he ever played pro football.

Several years back, I bought Grandpa MichChamp a copy of Rosenberg's book (War As They Knew It...). I don't know if it was actually good or not. Lantry's lucky he served in a capacity in Vietnam that allowed him to feel pride for serving.

His luck apparently ran out after that.

But that's almost the same story as Michigan football... Say what you will about our program, but there was nothing lucky about our success.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a good read, but I'm curious what happened to him after college. The article kinda ends with his missed kick against OSU. Sounds like he founded a company that still exists. I can't find out if he ever played pro football.

Several years back, I bought Grandpa MichChamp a copy of Rosenberg's book (War As They Knew It...). I don't know if it was actually good or not. Lantry's lucky he served in a capacity in Vietnam that allowed him to feel pride for serving.

His luck apparently ran out after that.

But that's almost the same story as Michigan football... Say what you will about our program, but there was nothing lucky about our success.

Here's a feature on Lantry that was written in 2020 by Lynn Henning.

leroy-hoard-thumb-646x475-133081.jpg

33 days. Leroy Hoard, RB 1986-1989. Ran for 142 in a 22-14 win over USC in the 1989 Rose Bowl -- the only player to run for 100 yards against the Trojans that season.

FM3EWYbXsAAl6bD.jpg

32 days. Anthony Thomas, RB, 1997-2000. First-team, All Big Ten, 2000. Holds school record for single-season YPG at 144.4. (2000)

great guy, too. I had a summer internship as a teller with Comerica in Ann Arbor one year. ATrain had just graduated and he used to come into the branch with his fiancee. He was always really polite to everyone there.

He surprisingly wasn't a big guy either. I felt like I could have tackled him... If I had a good angle and he wasn't expecting it.

220px-Ed_Shuttlesworth.png

31 days. Ed Shuttlesworth, FB 1971-1973. "At the time of his graduation, he was Michigan's all-time leader in rushing attempts (532) and ranked third in rushing yards (2,333 yards)." Wiki.

Don_Dufek.png

30 days. Don Dufek, Sr, RB, 1948-1950. Scored two 4th-quarter TDs with less than six minutes to play in the 1951 Rose Bowl to secure a 14-6 win over previously undefeated California.

Yost Ice Arena, known as the Yost Field House until 1973, in the background there

636109515112689182-AP-APTOPIX-Wisconsin-Michiga.jpg

26 days. I figure some players are well-known enough to not need a blurb or further details.

Last edited:

26 days. I figure some players are well-known enough to not need a blurb or further details.

I had a Wisconsin friend/former coworker who was at that game (I was too) and he sent me a sniffy text after that play, saying something like "Michigan fans sure love celebrating pointless interceptions."

But it WAS an incredible play, regardless of the down and time remaining. Thruth be told, the score was only 14-7 (we missed 3 FGs though) and UW just needed a TD to tie it... had Lewis blown coverage or committed PI, UW would have had the ball close to midfield with ~2:00 remaining.

My friend is one of those "stats guys" that thinks you can break teams down to objective measures, ignoring team morale, momentum, leadership, etc. For him, the interception merely confirmed that Wisconsin only had a 0.0002% chance of winning (or whatever)

Back