Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Suh Negotiations

no way suhs value is the #2 pick in the draft seeing as hes a 1 year rental. Since that's the case I don't really seeing them throwing in #44 either...but we can dream :D

If they were able to negotiate an extension Suh for the #2 pick could work. At that point I would look at trying to trade out of the spot ( unless Clowney is there) for additional picks.

So do you think Suh + 10 for Watkins is a good deal for the Lions? As GM, would you do it? Because I think our defense would be much worse and have trouble stopping anything if that trade happened. Our offense would theoretically be amazing, but I don't know if that'd be worth it.

no, I don't think itd be a good deal...but they have WAY more info than I do as far as where negotiations are at. I think our defense is god awful. And trading the one good thing on defense we have for more offense is completely mayhewesque. As GM....I would have resigned suh 2 months ago like he said he was going to. Then id trade down in the draft cause pick 10 is not a good fit for us. Mayhew bends over too much to get either of those things done..

There you have it. Suh is NOT being traded this year.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2014/05/detroit_lions_decline_1_trade.html
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10886394/gm-says-detroit-lions-no-plans-trade-ndamukong-suh
mlive said:
ALLEN PARK -- The Detroit Lions did have one team inquire in January about a possible trade for Ndamukong Suh.

"Offered me a box of old tube socks," general manager Martin Mayhew said, "and I said no thank you."

Since then, Detroit has shut down any possibility or exploration of a trade involving its best defensive player, contrary to Internet speculation.

Former CBSsports.com and New York Times writer Mike Freeman, now of Bleacher Report, wrote that the Lions had engaged in preliminary talks to gauge the market for Suh.

Mayhew opened his pre-draft news conference Monday by shooting down the report, before he could even be asked about it.

"We're not looking to trade him. There are no plans to trade him. I haven't had any conversations with anybody about trading him," Mayhew said, noting the lone exception in January. "Other than that, there have been no conversations. No gauging the interest level.

"There's been none of that happened that's been authorized by me. So I don't know where that came from. That's not on the table."

Suh, coming off his third All-Pro season in four years, is entering the final year of his rookie contract. Detroit had hoped to sign him to an extension by the start of free agency in March, but then Suh fired his agent and took more than a month to hire Jimmy Sexton as a replacement.

He's expected to command a contract that will make him the highest-paid defensive tackle in the league.

Some have suggested that Suh should be traded if an extension can't be reached, or if he costs too much to re-sign. But Mayhew summarily dismissed those possibilities, mostly because Suh is really good and Detroit would be a worse team without him.

"There are a lot of scenarios you can create where it might make sense to do something with him," Mayhew said. "You can think through all that stuff. The bottom line is winning football games. And we're trying to win football games.

"That's the guy who helps us do that. So I plan on Ndamukong being with us."

Mayhew wouldn't comment on how the contract negotations have progressed, and walked a tight line when asked for his reaction to Suh being the only notable healthy player to skip last month's voluntary minicamp.

"The reality is it's voluntary," Mayhew said of the minicamp. "The league office has been very clear with the fact no general managers and front office executives, or coaches, imply it's not voluntary.

"I'm not going to imply whether it is or it isn't voluntary. I can tell you this: The routine he's on now, he'll be here hopefully sometime in mid-May."

It's kind of telling that since the rumors started that The Lions were exploring trading Suh and nobody from other teams inquired with the Lions about a possible trade. That tells me that either Mayhew is lying or no teams are interested in trading for him.

It's kind of telling that since the rumors started that The Lions were exploring trading Suh and nobody from other teams inquired with the Lions about a possible trade. That tells me that either Mayhew is lying or no teams are interested in trading for him.
it tells me that the only one who's lying is the tool from Bleacher Report that can't put out any article that isn't "click bait" (aka. fake news)

Mayhew said that the only conversation he had about Suh was back in January when another GM called him to gauge interest. He said the other GM offered him "a box of old tube socks" and he told him no way.

He said in his presser he has had no other discussions. He also said he had about a dozen discussions regarding moving up or down in the draft, and every one of those had taken place this morning.

it tells me that the only one who's lying is the tool from Bleacher Report that can't put out any article that isn't "click bait" (aka. fake news)

Well, there was one team that made a low ball offer in January. If the rumors were out there that the Lions were exploring the possibility of trading Suh don't you think that every GM that had interest would inquire with the Lions?

any gm that cant get it done to sign an extension.....would be dumb to not listen to offers. Ofcourse teams in January are going to offer tube socks...if serious offers started to come in, mayhew would be dumb not to listen. Hes already shown he cant get an extension done...

any gm that cant get it done to sign an extension.....would be dumb to not listen to offers. Ofcourse teams in January are going to offer tube socks...if serious offers started to come in, mayhew would be dumb not to listen. Hes already shown he cant get an extension done...

I call complete B.S.

I know you love to hate Mayhew, but to say he's shown he "can't get an extension done" is ludicrous.

Is Calvin playing on his rookie deal? Is Stafford? Is Pettigrew?

Every single guy (for better or worse) that Mayhew has wanted to extend, he has done so, including Tulloch, Houston, Mosley, Matthis, etc....

The only guys who have walked away, are guys he cut loose and had no interest in bringing back. Question the guys he targets all you want, but he hasn't failed yet to extend a guy he actually wanted to extend.

Forgive me if I don't trust anything a GM says publicly. The only thing that guarantees Suh won't be traded is if he's still playing for the Lions in early November.

I call complete B.S.

I know you love to hate Mayhew, but to say he's shown he "can't get an extension done" is ludicrous.

Is Calvin playing on his rookie deal? Is Stafford? Is Pettigrew?

Every single guy (for better or worse) that Mayhew has wanted to extend, he has done so, including Tulloch, Houston, Mosley, Matthis, etc....

The only guys who have walked away, are guys he cut loose and had no interest in bringing back. Question the guys he targets all you want, but he hasn't failed yet to extend a guy he actually wanted to extend.

I was referring to suh. he told us hed be signed prior to fa. He didn't get it done.

"every single" is not true...sammie lee hill comes to mind. Avril comes to mind. The actual truth is he re-signs his own most of the times cause no one else wants them. TUlloch tested the market and heard crickets.....cause theres very low interest in 4-3 MLBs on the open market. Houston heard crickets. Mosely is a back up dt...those are a dime a dozen. Matthis is like a 50 yr old secondary who can only make a roster that has a secondary as bad as ours. Ink...I usually agree with a lot of what you say...but that list was pathetic man lol....

Forgive me if I don't trust anything a GM says publicly. The only thing that guarantees Suh won't be traded is if he's still playing for the Lions in early November.

one things comes to mind here:

If hes telling the truth, that means hes to fucking dumb to have a contingency plan if suh doesn't want to be here. He hasn't resigned and hes not at mandatory camp...those should be subtle hints for most GMs to see wtf is going on and maybe see if theres interest. That being said I kind of believe him cause I can believe that hes done nothing...its what he usually does.

I was referring to suh. he told us hed be signed prior to fa. He didn't get it done.

"every single" is not true...sammie lee hill comes to mind. Avril comes to mind. The actual truth is he re-signs his own most of the times cause no one else wants them. TUlloch tested the market and heard crickets.....cause theres very low interest in 4-3 MLBs on the open market. Houston heard crickets. Mosely is a back up dt...those are a dime a dozen. Matthis is like a 50 yr old secondary who can only make a roster that has a secondary as bad as ours. Ink...I usually agree with a lot of what you say...but that list was pathetic man lol....

He tagged Avril. He didn't make him an offer at all. A year later he let him walk with no offer at all. He didn't want him back. Avril was a stopgap solution they overpaid for. Don't forget, rumor was he lost millions signing with the Seahawks, and then later he said the Lions never made him a long term offer at all.

Sammie Lee Hill said he was not given any offer by the Lions at all.

No offer isn't failed negotiations. It's declining to negotiate at all.

The only guy I can really think of that Mayhew may have wanted back and didn't get is Willie Young.

I can't swear to it, but I do seem to remember him saying something about Willie being a priority, but I am not sure if that was Willie or Pettigrew.

He tagged Avril. He didn't make him an offer at all. A year later he let him walk with no offer at all. He didn't want him back. Avril was a stopgap solution they overpaid for. Don't forget, rumor was he lost millions signing with the Seahawks, and then later he said the Lions never made him a long term offer at all.

Sammie Lee Hill said he was not given any offer by the Lions at all.

No offer isn't failed negotiations. It's declining to negotiate at all.

avril has a 3 yr 30 mil offer prior to taking the tag. he rejected it.

SLH he couldn't compete with any of the 4 offers he had on the table for a back up DT. Couldn't resign his own cause he put his team into cap hell. You try to draft well so you can groom and resign your own guys. Mayhew has put himself into a situation where he cant even afford the very few guys he drafts and develops.....slh is the perfect example of that.

The only guy I can really think of that Mayhew may have wanted back and didn't get is Willie Young.

I can't swear to it, but I do seem to remember him saying something about Willie being a priority, but I am not sure if that was Willie or Pettigrew.

ink, youre being slightly ridiculous. every year I can go down the lions fa list and show you a name im sure he wanted back but either couldn't afford or the player didn't want to be here. Youre saying mayhew didn't want shaun hill on this team?

avril has a 3 yr 30 mil offer prior to taking the tag. he rejected it.

SLH he couldn't compete with any of the 4 offers he had on the table for a back up DT. Couldn't resign his own cause he put his team into cap hell. You try to draft well so you can groom and resign your own guys. Mayhew has put himself into a situation where he cant even afford the very few guys he drafts and develops.....slh is the perfect example of that.
this is true, but you also have to remember that Mayhew is still cleaning up the clusterf-ck that Millen put us through before the new CBA was in place. drafting in the top 2 in 3 out of 4 years is what really screwed this team over. Mayhew has managed it well, but not great. i don't think there are many, if any at all, that could have done what Mayhew did with that.

Suh is the last piece of that Millen screwing us with HUGE rookie contracts (even though Millen didn't draft Suh, he still put together the team that had only a hand full of actual NFL players on it in 2008, which obviously meant that 2009 was going to suck).

once Suh's (relative) cap friendlier contract comes into play, we won't have to worry about bloated rookie contracts anymore.

Youre saying mayhew didn't want shaun hill on this team?
i'm sure Mayhew wanted Shaun Hill on the team, but not at the price Hill was going to cost to keep around.

it goes both ways with that as well... players still want to get paid

this is true, but you also have to remember that Mayhew is still cleaning up the clusterf-ck that Millen put us through before the new CBA was in place. drafting in the top 2 in 3 out of 4 years is what really screwed this team over. Mayhew has managed it well, but not great. i don't think there are many, if any at all, that could have done what Mayhew did with that.

Suh is the last piece of that Millen screwing us with HUGE rookie contracts (even though Millen didn't draft Suh, he still put together the team that had only a hand full of actual NFL players on it in 2008, which obviously meant that 2009 was going to suck).

once Suh's (relative) cap friendlier contract comes into play, we won't have to worry about bloated rookie contracts anymore.

other teams go from bottom to top in 1 year....weve taken 50. Theres parity in the NFL....there's no parity in how shitty the lions have been.

i'm sure Mayhew wanted Shaun Hill on the team, but not at the price Hill was going to cost to keep around.

it goes both ways with that as well... players still want to get paid

-.- really? hes making 1.25 mil plus a 500k singing bonus. If he wanted to be here....he would have been here....hes making peanuts.

Back