Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Super Bowl Thread

And on the Dline
Ansah 9,3,22 per PFF=Clemons5,8,28
Young 4,8,48= Avril 9,10,28
Bennett9,17.39>>>Jason Jones injured. Injury risk on Bennett paid off now a free agent
Irvin 2,3,15<Devin Taylor 2,4,15
Suh5,13,54>>>>Mebane 0,6,26
Fairley6,14,21>Red Bryant 2,14,15
Clint McDonald 6,11,17>Idonije 1,2,23
Tony McDaniel2,2,14>CJ Mosely 0,5,9

Lions just as productive as Seattle. Better DTs but slightly worse DEs due to Bennett(who is a free agent and Seattle is over the cap).

And before you say hits and hurries don't matter. Avril had a hit and hurry that caused both of Mannings picks. Won a Super Bowl.

And before you say hits and hurries don't matter. Avril had a hit and hurry that caused both of Mannings picks. Won a Super Bowl.

Hurries do matter...when players in the back 7 can make a play. When the Lion's DE gets a hurry the QB just throws the ball to a wide open reciever!

Hurries do matter...when players in the back 7 can make a play. When the Lion's DE gets a hurry the QB just throws the ball to a wide open reciever!

Dline is still doing its job and being productive is the point. Not the Dlines issue if the CBs can't make a play. Lions LBs and safeties did their part with picks with 13 on the season. That's a good number. CBS getting only 2 needs work with Houston the only 2. Slay, Bentley, Houston and any new players need to pick it up. The table is set with them with hits and hurries.

Dline is still doing its job and being productive is the point. Not the Dlines issue if the CBs can't make a play. Lions LBs and safeties did their part with picks with 13 on the season. That's a good number. CBS getting only 2 needs work with Houston the only 2. Slay, Bentley, Houston and any new players need to pick it up. The table is set with them with hits and hurries.

right, but hurries turn into sacks if the CBs can cover. The Lion's don't have a single CB that can cover. The entire secondary is shitty as a group.

right, but hurries turn into sacks if the CBs can cover. The Lion's don't have a single CB that can cover. The entire secondary is shitty as a group.

The safeties are good (3 picks each and good coverage). The CBs cover at times but get burnt at inopportune times. Houston 2010-2012 form can cover. Slay has size, speed and talent. Needs to grow as most rookie CBs struggle. Bentley made strides at nickel this year. Houston and Slay will be better than any rookie in 2014IMO but long term a rookie 1st or 2nd round CB could be a stud so worth the pick. And then with that, you get Houston's money freed up in 2015 and beyond.

Wright and Smith were way worse in coverage than Slay and Bentley but gambled and got 4 picks each in 2011. We need Slay and Bentley to learn to force turnovers and Houston back to 2011 form (5 picks).

The safeties are good (3 picks each and good coverage). The CBs cover at times but get burnt at inopportune times. Houston 2010-2012 form can cover. Slay has size, speed and talent. Needs to grow as most rookie CBs struggle. Bentley made strides at nickel this year. Houston and Slay will be better than any rookie in 2014IMO but long term a rookie 1st or 2nd round CB could be a stud so worth the pick. And then with that, you get Houston's money freed up in 2015 and beyond.

Wright and Smith were way worse in coverage than Slay and Bentley but gambled and got 4 picks each in 2011. We need Slay and Bentley to learn to force turnovers and Houston back to 2011 form (5 picks).

I'll give it to you...you always see the glass as half full. I see the secondary as a broken glass with water spilled all over the floor! I think as a group they suck. Slay may be good some day but he certainly isn't right now.

And Houston in 2011/2012 is very comparable to Browner and Browner/Maxwell. I'll show tomorrow with the stats. And Houston was facing number 1 CBs.

Sherman is a shut down CB. Super rare.

not sure how the system will be different in the secondary now that Gunther is gone and we have a secondary coach as a DC....but quin was awful last year in gunthers system. 99% of the time he was being used incorrectly....but he was awful nonetheless. He has a very hard time covering in space and making open field tackles....yet we consistently put him in those positions.

delusional1.jpg

not sure how the system will be different in the secondary now that Gunther is gone and we have a secondary coach as a DC....but quin was awful last year in gunthers system. 99% of the time he was being used incorrectly....but he was awful nonetheless. He has a very hard time covering in space and making open field tackles....yet we consistently put him in those positions.

Quin ranked 10th in coverage last season

Quin ranked 10th in coverage last season

The fact you keep throwing out irrelevant stats that say how good our secondary is proves how stupid stats for the secondary are. Your stats make them out to be all pro....but they suck...so maybe lets not look at stats so much and use those things attached to your face that allow you to see. Cause you'd see Quinn and delmas whiffing in space all year or see opposing qbs easily convert pass after pass.

The fact you keep throwing out irrelevant stats that say how good our secondary is proves how stupid stats for the secondary are. Your stats make them out to be all pro....but they suck...so maybe lets not look at stats so much and use those things attached to your face that allow you to see. Cause you'd see Quinn and delmas whiffing in space all year or see opposing qbs easily convert pass after pass.

wow just wow

LOL. That ranking is based on observation and game tape of an unbiased paid professional who watched not only Quin, but all the safeties in the NFL. It's a grade based on individual performance (not a stat) based on how many times Quin had good coverage and how many times Quin had bad coverage, regardless if the ball was thrown his way or not. It wasn't a stat though Quin has good low comp %, good pass deflection numbers, 3 picks, and low YAC against him. Those are stats. The ranking is based on what you just said, using your eyes. And I agree with Quin being good in coverage based on my observation. I won't attest to overall since I didn't watch every safety but I was very happy with my observation of Quin in coverage.

Two against one so far. Maybe your assessment of Quin is just bad?

Last edited:
LOL. That ranking is based on observation and game tape of an unbiased paid professional who watched not only Quin, but all the safeties in the NFL. It's a grade based on individual performance (not a stat) based on how many times Quin had good coverage and how many times Quin had bad coverage, regardless if the ball was thrown his way or not. It wasn't a stat though Quin has good low comp %, good pass deflection numbers, 3 picks, and low YAC against him. Those are stats. The ranking is based on what you just said, using your eyes. And I agree with Quin being good in coverage based on my observation. I won't attest to overall since I didn't watch every safety but I was very happy with my observation of Quin in coverage.

Not taking sides here but when you throw out rankings like "10th best in coverage", it's a really broad and vague stat. It's usually best to include a link that supports your argument.

Not taking sides here but when you throw out rankings like "10th best in coverage", it's a really broad and vague stat. It's usually best to include a link that supports your argument.

Pro football focus.

Pro football focus.

its a dumb stat...our safeties rarely are lined up in coverage 1 v 1....mainly cause they don't have the skill to do that. Quin was used in a deep zone a lot of the times alone in space....and was late or completely whiffed time and time again. How a stat can say he was good in coverage when hes being used as a deep zone safety most the year is ridiculous.

Id believe it more if it was 10th best in the division.

anytime michiganalex agrees with you its a -1. So its 2-0 that quin was not good in coverage if you want to keep score. Again, schematically he was being used improperly....but he wasn't very good.

its a dumb stat...our safeties rarely are lined up in coverage 1 v 1....mainly cause they don't have the skill to do that. Quin was used in a deep zone a lot of the times alone in space....and was late or completely whiffed time and time again. How a stat can say he was good in coverage when hes being used as a deep zone safety most the year is ridiculous.

It's not a stat. It's coverage, including zone. It's based on observation and grading that observation compared to other safeties. I'm sure the Lions front office agrees too. Hell you don't know, Seattle's pro personnel deparment could give Quin a high grade for coverage.

Your assessment is poor. it's based on your poor biased memory from months ago. Put together all the plays (not just the ones you remember him messing up) and cumulatively, he earned a good coverage grade. And this is from an unbiased source. I just happen to agree with it.

Last edited:
Back