Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers 2021-2022 Free Agents Trades Rule 5 Arbitration Moves

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2021/11/09/watercooler-wednesday-13/
WATERCOOLER WEDNESDAY.
Totally Tigers

Today, another chance for readers to have increased opportunities to discuss the hottest topics in a forum where thoughtful conversations and a variety of opinions are welcomed.

Let?s create some running conversation threads with not just comments but replies to others. And for those of you still going into offices, here?s a question to take with you ? or use via Zoom calls ? as you talk to your co-workers.

Here is today?s hot topic. For this blog only, a maximum of 10 sentences please.

As everyone knows, the Tigers are in desperate need of a shortstop.
Last year?s collection ranked dead last in MLB in almost every defensive category. The Tigers don?t have anyone coming up from the minors anytime soon.

Overall, the Tigers ranked #26 in MLB in Defensive Runs Saved with a ? 35 DFS. They received no Gold Glove nominations at all this year. A SS would help cut down on the runs Detroit is giving up to its competition.

There are 5 top SSs who are now free agents.

A whopping 13 teams are in need of a SS this year, including the Angels, Astros, Cardinals, Cubs, Dodgers, Mariners, Phillies, Rangers, Red Sox, Rockies, Tigers, Twins and Yankees. The majority of these teams are known for their deep pockets.

This also means that there will be a supply and demand issue that favors the players. Each of the top SSs on the market is associated with 6 teams who are most interested in them. Bidding wars are expected as a result.

Here are the approximate contracts to expect for each player. I?ve also listed their ages in parentheses because contract length becomes a factor as well.

Javier Baez (29) ? 6 years, $172 million

Carlos Correa ( 27) ? 10 years, $340+ million

Corey Seager (28) ? 10 years, $320 million

Marcus Semien (31) ? 5 years, $148 million

Trevor Story (28) ? 7 years, $204 million

What would you do to fill the SS hole? Sign a top player listed above and potentially risk short-changing other positions?

Or would you go after another free agent SS who won?t cost as much and would also allow you to fill the rest of the holes?

Or would you identify a quality candidate who is not a free agent and trade for him?

Cast your vote, but we?re going to make it challenging. You?ve got to make the hard choice and select the best out of the 3 options offered. No cherry-picking allowed!

And as always, feel free to explain your rationale in the comments section.

How should the Tigers fill their shortstop need?

1. Go after one of the top 5 free agents.

2. Sign a lesser-known free agent.

3. Trade for another team's shortstop.

VOTE

It staggers me that the Tigers have this big of a hole at a position that, in my lifetime, has always been a strength, whether defensively, offensively, or both. Tom Veryzer excepted, with no malice intended.

There are 5 top SSs who are now free agents.

A whopping 13 teams are in need of a SS this year, including the Angels, Astros, Cardinals, Cubs, Dodgers, Mariners, Phillies, Rangers, Red Sox, Rockies, Tigers, Twins and Yankees. The majority of these teams are known for their deep pockets.

This also means that there will be a supply and demand issue that favors the players. Each of the top SSs on the market is associated with 6 teams who are most interested in them. Bidding wars are expected as a result.

Here are the approximate contracts to expect for each player. I?ve also listed their ages in parentheses because contract length becomes a factor as well.

Javier Baez (29) ? 6 years, $172 million

Carlos Correa ( 27) ? 10 years, $340+ million

Corey Seager (28) ? 10 years, $320 million

Marcus Semien (31) ? 5 years, $148 million

Trevor Story (28) ? 7 years, $204 million

What would you do to fill the SS hole? Sign a top player listed above and potentially risk short-changing other positions?

Or would you go after another free agent SS who won?t cost as much and would also allow you to fill the rest of the holes?

Or would you identify a quality candidate who is not a free agent and trade for him?

Cast your vote, but we?re going to make it challenging. You?ve got to make the hard choice and select the best out of the 3 options offered. No cherry-picking allowed!

And as always, feel free to explain your rationale in the comments section.

How should the Tigers fill their shortstop need?

1. Go after one of the top 5 free agents.

2. Sign a lesser-known free agent.

3. Trade for another team's shortstop.

VOTE

I would sign a lesser known FA

It staggers me that the Tigers have this big of a hole at a position that, in my lifetime, has always been a strength, whether defensively, offensively, or both. Tom Veryzer excepted, with no malice intended.

Then you should feel fortunate. Tommy. one of my favorites back then.

No long year deals. We've seen 10 year deals don't work. For the five listed about I wouldn't sign any, cost is too high. Go get a 5 year $60m guy if there is one.

Tigers showing early interest in free agent LHP Eduardo Rodr?guez, and they have one built-in advantage. Rodr?guez, 28, has a good relationship with Detroit assistant pitching coach Juan Nieves, his first MLB pitching coach in Boston.

https://www.mlive.com/tigers/2021/1...iguez-but-red-sox-would-like-to-keep-him.html
MLB free agent rumors: Tigers show interest in Eduardo Rodriguez, but Red Sox would like to keep him.
Mlive

Last edited:
https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2021/11/10/open-mike-91/
OPEN MIKE.
Totally Tigers

Happy Veterans Day! And if you happen to be one, then thank you, thank you, thank you for your service to this country.

On this holiday, let?s open up the comments section to your thoughts and questions. Anything baseball, not just the Tigers. The same rules for posting apply but on this day only, you?ve got a maximum of 10 sentences.

Tigers showing early interest in free agent RHP Jon Gray, who was not tendered a qualifying offer by #Rockies ? and therefore isn?t attached to draft pick compensation.

Tigers are interested in Anthony DeSclafani.

Back