Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

PFF Review Week 7

That's what you got from my post? How? Why do you compare him to other players and where they're drafted? Nobody cares about draft position besides you. This is the NFL....players are bigger and stronger than ever before. You can't compare what a guy does on another team.....its different situations!!! Do you even get that??

He wasn't a joke last year. He was a rookie TE that struggled. Just like every other good/great TE did in their rookie year.
You don't have to like the pick. Hell, i didn't like it but i have seen the improvement. Numbers dont lie, but you...you're fixated on his blocking? This quite possibly makes you the dumbest poster in here and that's a title that i thought would never be given away. Holy fuck!

Draft position does matter. Expectations are different for a 1st round guy vs a later round guy.

Yes his rookie year was a disappointment. There were 16 TEs that put up more yards and 20 that scored more TDs in their rookie year over the past 5 years (2010-2014). Only two other TEs were taken int the 1st round over that period and they both put up more yards and TDs then Ebron. They were both taken 21st overall.

Over the past 10 years there are only 2 TEs taken in the top 15. So sorry expectations are higher for a guy that is drafted top 10. TEs are never taken that high for a reason. If you are, you better be able to perform better then a bunch of 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc rounders.

Ebron is on pace for 750 yards (9th best in 2014) and 6-7 TDs (7th best TE in 2014) (In 14 games). let's see if he hits that.

that would be 9th best TE last year (Heath Miller than Witten is 10th). And again this is in 14 games.

A 54 yard per game, 3 TDs in 5 games is a 850 yard and 8 TD pace over 16 games (which he won't play)

Last edited:
Draft position does matter. Expectations are different for a 1st round guy vs a later round guy.

Yes his rookie year was a disappointment. There were 16 TEs that put up more yards and 20 that scored more TDs in their rookie year over the past 5 years (2010-2014). Only two other TEs were taken int the 1st round over that period and they both put up more yards and TDs then Ebron. They were both taken 21st overall.

Over the past 10 years there are only 2 TEs taken in the top 15. So sorry expectations are higher for a guy that is drafted top 10. TEs are never taken that high for a reason. If you are, you better be able to perform better then a bunch of 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc rounders.

But you can't sit there and compare other players on different teams to Ebron. Nobody gives a shit what Crowder from the Redskins is doing compared to Ebron. No one! Well, except one putz. Crowder was drafted in the 4th or 5th so Ebron has to have better numbers?? That's weak as fuck. It's 2 completely different situations. Crowder is only on the radar because DJax has been sidelined for 7 weeks or nobody would know his ass. True?

You can give me all your wonderful stats from TEs the last 10-20 years...that's fine, but its well known that rookie TEs have struggled in the past. Ebron was one of them...he struggled mightily, but now he's improving. I'm not calling the kid a superstar, but the improvement is right in front of us. Lets fixate on his blocking though lol....thats what we'll do. Fucking priceless....

We even kept ebron in on pass plays lmao. Granted 3 guys blitzed over him and stafford got killed. ...but hey. ...top 10 picks don't need to block.

Yeah.....he should have been able to handle 3 blitzers at once. What a bust lol

You can't compare other players to Ebron?? Isn't that why statistics were created in the first place??

If you force the fact that we can't call him a tight end, and we have to call him a receiver, why can't I look at other players to judge what he's doing? It's like you've invented some criteria to shield the poor kid from criticism.

Last edited:
You can't compare other players to Ebron?? Isn't that why statistics were created in the first place??

If you force the fact that we can't call him a tight end, and we have to call him a receiver, why can't I look at other players to judge what he's doing? It's like you've invented some criteria to shield the poor kid from criticism.

Just take into account the bad Oline and the fact he missed 2 games too. But he's still producing.

750 yards and 6-7 TD pace in 14 game pace.

Just take into account the bad Oline and the fact he missed 2 games too. But he's still producing.

750 yards and 6-7 TD pace in 14 game pace.

he is putting up decent stats...but is he really helping the team that much? He is a huge liability in pass protection and run blocking.

And like I said, when you line up those stats with other WRs in the league, he's OK. So they spend a #10 overall pick on an average WR with good speed, case of the dropsies, and horrible blocking.

But since this is 2nd grade when we talk about Ebron and we need to give him a participation medal, he's better than last year, when he was total dog bleep. Fantastic.

Last edited:
he is putting up decent stats...but is he really helping the team that much? He is a huge liability in pass protection and run blocking.

He is helping the team with his first downs and TDs. Pettigrew is hurt. Ebron is plan B for blocking and doesn't pass block much (they send him on routes). Pettigrew is the top ranked pass blocking and a high ranked run blocking TE. And trading Mike Williams was dumb now in hindsight.

Last edited:
brilliant plan by the Lions. 2 early to mid first round picks used on 2 incomplete TEs. One who can block but can't catch and the other one who can catch but not block. They could have used a 3rd - 4th round pick on one TE that was average at both and would be better off!

brilliant plan by the Lions. 2 early to mid first round picks used on 2 incomplete TEs. One who can block but can't catch and the other one who can catch but not block. They could have used a 3rd - 4th round pick on one TE that was average at both and would be better off!

That is where Ebron was ranked. And he's still young with many years left. He is worth the receiving aspect alone.

And as a pure WR, he's been underwhelming. I know he gets the rookie pass by a lot of people, but it's not impossible to be good early. Amari Cooper, OBJ, how about those guys? Are they going through the same "learning curve?"

It's not that complicated. Run good routes, catch the ball.

That is where Ebron was ranked. And he's still young with many years left. He is worth the receiving aspect alone.

the point is...if you just want the receiving aspect....draft a WR and put a TE in there that can do both!

And as a pure WR, he's been underwhelming. I know he gets the rookie pass by a lot of people, but it's not impossible to be good early. Amari Cooper, OBJ, how about those guys? Are they going through the same "learning curve?"

It's not that complicated. Run good routes, catch the ball.

He has not been underwhelming. He's the 3rd option still. Highly productive given that.

750 yards and 6-7 TDs is good for a 3rd weapon playing 14 games.

YPG and TDs Ebron is nicely in the WR/TE category combined. Nice catch % too this year. Good YPC for qualified players. Ebron is working out so far.

Waddle got hurt and regressed from a solid RT. Tulloch got hurt into a 2 down LB (still good against run) and Tate regressed this year. Suh took 19 per over 17 per . Ngata was a great addition but has been hurt. Slay and Quin regressed. They shouldn't have. Sweezy had a cheap shot on Walker. Levy the mistake eraser is injured. Mayhew was tricked and screwed by injuries.

Last edited:
the point is...if you just want the receiving aspect....draft a WR and put a TE in there that can do both!

Ebron blocks better than a WR and other teams will put a LB/safety on him at times due a Moore being on the field. If we draft a WR, that WR is getting a CB.

And you know damn well if we drafted OBJ his hamstring issue would be even worse than they are.

You are assuming he's just going to continue on that pace and finish that way.

I expect more out of 1st round luxury picks that play the WR/TE/whatever freaking position he is.

And Ebron doesn't block better than a WR. He doesn't block, period. His technique is horrible, he gets the hell out of the way of the rushers.

Last edited:
You are assuming he's just going to continue on that pace and finish that way.

I expect more out of 1st round luxury picks that play the WR/TE/whatever freaking position he is.

And Ebron doesn't block better than a WR. He doesn't block, period. His technique is horrible, he gets the hell out of the way of the rushers.

He blocks better than a WR inline for sure. Ebron is producing. Turning out to be a good pick.

Now Swanson and Van Noy need to do something productive. Van Noy did have a his first sack last game.

No he's not. He's got a long way to go before he justifies where he was taken.

He doesn't get a free pass for his shit year 1.

Back