Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Rule changes, work stoppage, Offseason changes, Pitch Clock, New Uniforms

I've never been behind the players. They make so much already and we lose players early enough and now they want the arbitration so quickly and the option to test free agency in just a few years. Greater revenue share. They can all go bite it.

I don't mind them making their money. Hell, if they agreed on a starting wage of $750K or even $1M that would be OK. But the revenue sharing, player control, luxury tax...I am on the owner's side. Those are the things that make it more possible for small market teams to compete with large market teams.

I don't mind them making their money. Hell, if they agreed on a starting wage of $750K or even $1M that would be OK. But the revenue sharing, player control, luxury tax...I am on the owner's side. Those are the things that make it more possible for small market teams to compete with large market teams.

I think they should have a cap of 140m. Based on popularity that seems about right. One of the things I like about the NHL is the cap is 81.5m.

I think they should have a cap of 140m. Based on popularity that seems about right. One of the things I like about the NHL is the cap is 81.5m.

Baseball makes so much more than hockey. League average for baseball last year was $115M. There were only 3 teams that had payrolls over $185M, Yankees $221M, Dodgers $214M, Mets $235M.

There were 13 teams with payrolls below $100M and 9 with less than $75M

I would be in favor of a cap but I think the revenue sharing is better. They need to tweak how the money is shared. If your team payroll is below a certain number you shouldn't be allowed to get any revenue sharing.

I would say keep the luxury tax & have a salary floor like $80M

Baseball makes so much more than hockey. League average for baseball last year was $115M. There were only 3 teams that had payrolls over $185M, Yankees $221M, Dodgers $214M, Mets $235M.

There were 13 teams with payrolls below $100M and 9 with less than $75M

I would be in favor of a cap but I think the revenue sharing is better. They need to tweak how the money is shared. If your team payroll is below a certain number you shouldn't be allowed to get any revenue sharing.

I would say keep the luxury tax & have a salary floor like $80M

That's the point there are many teams that will never compete unless there's a hard cap. 80m is still not going to compete with 200m. There should be a minimum and max floor but closer together. Revenue sharing isn't going to help teams compete.

I don't care if they lose 1/2 of the season. 80 games is plenty to figure out which teams are the best.

Just your daily reminder:

This is NOT Billionaires vs Millionaires. Anyone that says that and adds that they need to ?get over it?. They?re wrong.

71% of MLB players make less than $1 mill. 66% less than $600k. 16% less than $100k.

That?s all moot. Pay em what they?re worth.

Ben Verlander

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2022/3/1/22956001/mlb-collective-bargaining-baseball-negotiations-mlbpa
MLB and the players finally lock up in a marathon bargaining session.
Owners and players worked late into the night to complete a new collective bargaining agreement, but it?s still a ways from a done deal.
BYBTB

Things MLB has done since 2019:

- multiple cheating scandals.
- cut 42 minor-league affiliates.
- fought players on 2020 season until it was only 60 games.
- Manfred called WS trophy ?a piece of metal?.
- locked out players.

Things MLB has not done:

- made baseball better.

Last edited:
I know lots of fans will be mad at the players, but don't lose focus: It can't be overstated how much the owners as a group don't care about winning. As long as they can make minimal investments in their "product" and still profit tremendously, that's a problem for the sport.

The main reason to support the players? They are the only ones who are concerned about the quality of the product by addressing the increase in tanking, concern over dropping payrolls and the priority owners are putting on profits, not performance.

The rhetoric is ratcheting up. As Evan Drellich said, MLB suggested in the first meeting with the MLBPA today that the league is willing to cancel a month's worth of games. What that means, or whether it's simply a threat, is unclear, but players have taken it as a clear threat.

Owners' intent was never about starting on time. They didn't respond to a counter offer for 43 days. It's all about the money - and only the money for them.

Totally Tigers

Last edited:
MLBPA player leaders agreed unanimously not to accept MLB's final proposal, and there will be no deal on a new collective-bargaining agreement before MLB's 5 p.m. ET deadline, sources tell ESPN.

MLB has threatened to cancel its March 31 Opening Day without a new deal.

Now, let?s go look at just the national TV $. This doesn?t count $85 million annually for expanded playoffs. Does not include new streaming deal(s). Does not include gaming $. The TV $ alone damn near offsets all this.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FMyt4kNVIAETa0Y?format=jpg&name=large

Maury Brown

The last 24hrs I?d say there was cautious optimism on the players side because the owners were actually at the table negotiating with us toward a deal. What we?re asking is more than fair. If there?s no deal the optimism from MLB was a PR illusion to make it look like they tried.

Alex Wood Pitcher

MLB's best-and-final offer:
- No changes to CBT thresholds (220/220/220/224/230).
- A $5M increase on pre-arb bonus pool from $25M to $30M.
- An increase of minimums from $675K to $700K, moving up $10K/year.

Jeff Passan

A couple things happened, I think: MLB leaked its proposal last night - when the two sides weren't that close on some core issues - and this idea of momentum was supposed to create pressure/narrative. Then players/agents read details overnight and some (many?) were not happy.
Union source says they were always far apart on major issues. It was MLB's optimism they were pushing (re yesterday). That was 'ridiculous.'

Travis Sawchik

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said he will cancel regular-season games.

Fuck You Rob Manfred and owners.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/03/mlbpa-planning-to-reject-leagues-best-and-final-offer.html
MLBPA Rejects League?s ?Best And Final? Offer.
MLBTR

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/03/manfred-mlb-to-cancel-some-regular-season-games.html
Manfred: MLB To Cancel First Two Regular Season Series.
MLBTR

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...jects-mlb-final-proposal-no-cba-deal-deadline
First 2 regular-season series canceled as MLBPA rejects MLB's final proposal.
espn

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33391658/no-deal-know-know-mlb-delays-opening-day
No deal: What we know and don't know as MLB delays Opening Day.
espn

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...lb-deadline-day-opening-day-union/6974839001/
MLB cancels opening day, sides fail to reach lockout deal.
Detnews

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...dline-bob-nightengale-jeff-passan/9331095002/
MLB lockout updates: Rob Manfred announces Opening Day canceled with no deal made.
Freep

https://www.mlive.com/tigers/2022/0...l-push-back-start-of-2022-regular-season.html
Opening Day delayed: MLB lockout will push back start of 2022 regular season.
Mlive

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2022/03/01/watercooler-wednesday-27/
WATERCOOLER WEDNESDAY.
Totally Tigers

Today, another opportunity for readers to discuss the hottest topics in a forum where thoughtful dialog and a variety of opinions are welcomed.

Let?s create some running conversational threads. And for those of you still going into offices, here?s a question to take with you ? or use via Zoom calls ? as you talk to your co-workers.

Here is today?s hot topic.
One of the biggest issues under discussion between players and owners has been the Competitive Balance Tax or ?luxury tax? as it is commonly known.

Currently, there is no minimum payroll for teams while there is a de facto salary cap of $210 million. Teams that go above this figure pay a graduated tax on their payroll.

Last year, only 1 team spent over the luxury tax limit. Meanwhile, 12 teams spent under $100 mill. Four of those teams spent $58 mill or less. The average MLB payroll now sits at $132 million.

Players have proposed establishing a payroll floor so teams will be forced to assemble a competitive roster. They have also argued that the luxury tax limit be raised to $245 million.

Owners do not want a payroll floor while also stating that they want to keep nearly the same ceiling. They believe that raising payroll will give the richest teams an unfair competitive advantage.

Players believe that the yearly drop (for the past 6 years) in payroll is creating uncompetitive teams while also preventing their middle class of players (those no longer under team control and seeking their first real contracts) from receiving fair offers.

We know that owners will never agree to a payroll floor, but what about a new ceiling?

Should teams be able to spend more than $210 million without penalty?

Will raising the ceiling inspire more spending?

Will a new ceiling force teams with the smallest payrolls to increase theirs?

What do you think?

Should the MLB payroll ceiling be raised?

1. No, keep it at $210 million.

2. Yes, raise it.

VOTE

I know lots of fans will be mad at the players, but don't lose focus: It can't be overstated how much the owners as a group don't care about winning. As long as they can make minimal investments in their "product" and still profit tremendously, that's a problem for the sport.

The main reason to support the players? They are the only ones who are concerned about the quality of the product by addressing the increase in tanking, concern over dropping payrolls and the priority owners are putting on profits, not performance.

The rhetoric is ratcheting up. As Evan Drellich said, MLB suggested in the first meeting with the MLBPA today that the league is willing to cancel a month's worth of games. What that means, or whether it's simply a threat, is unclear, but players have taken it as a clear threat.

Owners' intent was never about starting on time. They didn't respond to a counter offer for 43 days. It's all about the money - and only the money for them.

Totally Tigers

:bs:

don't let the players fool anyone...all they care about is money as well.

Back